Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com> on 1997/01/24 17:21:08 UTC

Re: Our image, up-to-date website, and PR #44

Regarding the state of the bug database...

I think that we need to decide to use either mail, or the web
interface. Not both. Two places to report bugs just creates more
work in tracking it.

Re: Our image, up-to-date website, and PR #44

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>.
Use the gnats database.  Make the mailing list report all additions and
updates to bugs.  Remove the other bug-report form that sends mail.  Make
people check the database before submitting a report.  Make the database
actually contain useful information when they do check.

Sounds like a good start anyway.  <g>

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>.
On Fri, 24 Jan 1997, Alexei Kosut wrote:

> My point is this: I want to be able to develop Apache passively. I
> mean this in the sense of how the bug reporting via email system works
> now: I read through my email, and glance at bug reports as they come
> in. If there's one I know anything about, I can say or do
> something. Otherwise, I can just hit delete. I don't want to have to
> have any more active participation (such as opening a web browser and
> clicking on things) than that.

Yup.  And when gnats is setup the way I think it should be it will send
mail to a list for every new bug or status change.  Followups via email
can automatically be included in the record in the bug database, or
someone can bring up a point without including it in the by just replying
to the list but not having it included in the database.

I've done a bit with gnats in the past, and it is a reasonable system even
though it is really broken, ugly, inefficient, hard to use and
non-intuitive.  That other system (forget the name, Roy mentioned it, have
played with it a bit) has a far better web interface since that is what it
is really built around, but I'm not sure how good the email side of things
are.

Re: Our image, up-to-date website, and PR #44

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>.
On Fri, 24 Jan 1997, Randy Terbush wrote:

> Regarding the state of the bug database...
>
> I think that we need to decide to use either mail, or the web
> interface. Not both. Two places to report bugs just creates more
> work in tracking it.

Mebbe. Although, I will point out one thing that I said a few months
ago, when we first considered this (unfortunately, I can't locate the
exact message): I refuse to use any bug database that does not send me
email when anything is added/changed (as our CVS system does). I knew
Brian had been playing with one, but I was aghast to learn this week
that it had actually been put onto our public website (guess I hadn't
been paying attention?), since this violates the agreement that we had
made six (or however many) months ago, and I believe I had a standing
veto out on that.

Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>      The Apache HTTP Server