Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Unico Hommes <Un...@hippo.nl> on 2003/10/21 10:47:10 UTC

RE: LocatioMapModule (was: RE: [VOTE RESULTS] Unico Hommes as a Cocoon/Forrest Committer)

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Unico Hommes wrote:
> > Muchos gracias Nicola (bows, takes the stage ;-D),
>
> :-)

> > My first efforts here will be towards stabilizing the new
> and amazing
> > locationmap module.
>
> Yup, when you get access, don't hesitate to commit it as-is in the
> src/java/** dir. I will be starting to use it right away, so you will
> have real-time beta testing and feedback. (keep the org.apache.cocoon
> package hierarchy, as it's what we use for other components
> that are not
> strongly tied to forrest).

Great, when we have finished stabalizing it I'll want to move it over to cocoon CVS if noone objects to it.

One thing of our previous discussion we need to revisit is the way a selector is provided with its test string. We said that:

<select>
  <location test=".." src=".." />
</select>

If test isn't specified the value of the src attribute is passed.

Now we run into trouble if you consider that a matcher can be nested inside a selector:

<select>
  <match pattern="..">
    <location src=".." />
  </match>
</select>

the selection takes place on the whatever the matcher comes up with (which is null if it doesn't and a location string if it does). But where to put the test override?

It looks like we may need to consider doing:

<select>
  <when test="..">
    <match pattern="">
      <location src="" />
    </match>
    <location src=".." />
  </when>
</select>

Which sacrafices brevity :-( Any ideas?

> > Besides that there is a myriad of things I (and my boss)
> can't wait to
> > dive into such as:

> > - Finish our age old publishing component I talked to
> Upayavira about
> > months ago that enables to publish cocoon resources to a
> live server in
> > servlet mode.
>
> See if/how this can affect/help the ForrestBot2 effort in the
> scratchpad.

Haven't seen it yet so I'll do that.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Unico Hommes wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>Yup, when you get access, don't hesitate to commit it as-is in the
>>src/java/** dir.

Couldn't wait, did it myself ;-)

> Great, when we have finished stabalizing it I'll want to move it over to cocoon CVS if noone objects to it.

I wouldn't even plan for that ATM. The reason is that code must reside
where the community is. Look what happened when we started moving Cocoon
things in Avalon, they basically started decaying. Moreover, Cocoon
committers can commit here too, so it's not an issue of karma.

I propose we discuss this again when we have real blocks.

> One thing of our previous discussion we need to revisit is the way a
> selector is provided with its test string. We said that:
>
> <select>
>   <location test=".." src=".." />
> </select>
>
> If test isn't specified the value of the src attribute is passed.
>
> Now we run into trouble if you consider that a matcher can be nested inside a selector:
>
> <select>
>   <match pattern="..">
>     <location src=".." />
>   </match>
> </select>
 >
> the selection takes place on the whatever the matcher comes up with
> (which is null if it doesn't and a location string if it does). But
> where to put the test override?
>
> It looks like we may need to consider doing:
>
> <select>
>   <when test="..">
>     <match pattern="">
>       <location src="" />
>     </match>
>     <location src=".." />
>   </when>
> </select>
>
> Which sacrafices brevity :-( Any ideas?

Hmmm, in this case:

  <select>
    <location test=".." src=".." />
  </select>

We are using the @test attribute on the element that should be inside a
when like this.

  <select>
    <when test="..">
      <location src=".." />
    </when>
  </select>

In the match case, it's the same:

  <select>
    <when test="..">
      <match pattern="">
        <location src="" />
      </match>
      <location src=".." />
    </when>
  </select>

Becomes:

  <select>
    <match pattern="" test="..">
      <location src="" />
    </match>
    <location src=".." />
  </select>

Just remove the <when> tag and add the @test attribute to the element
inside it.

>>See if/how this can affect/help the ForrestBot2 effort in the
>>scratchpad.
>
> Haven't seen it yet so I'll do that.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -