Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Erik Lundgren <er...@lndgrn.se> on 2012/04/07 15:53:09 UTC

FXGImage

Hi Jeffry!

Saw your commit of the FXGImage!
Just out of curiosity (and checking my own understanding of FXG), when should I use the FXGImage?

In Flex 4 ...

If I have an FXG-asset I can add it to a MXML-file just by using its name as a tag.

Eg:
<s:Group><loacal:MyFXG></s:Group>

The compiler transforms it into a SpriteVisualElement I believe.

In ActionScript I can create a new FXG instance as a SpriteVisualElement.

var myGroup:Group; var myFXG:SpriteVisualElement;
myFXG = new MyFXG;
myGroup.addElement( myFXG );

SpriteVisualElement inherits from FlexSprite, but implements IVisualElement – giving us access to properties like: x, y, postLayoutTransform ... etc.

Did you create FXGImage because you needed stuff from UIComponent not implemented in SpriteVisualElement? Is FXGImage aimed at FLEX 3?

Just checking.
Keep up good work.

/Erik

Re: FXGImage

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.
On 4/7/2012 9:53 AM, Erik Lundgren wrote:
> Hi Jeffry!
>
> Saw your commit of the FXGImage!
> Just out of curiosity (and checking my own understanding of FXG), when should I use the FXGImage?
  I really built it as a helper class.  I did know it was usable
directly in MXML, but it's been a while since I've tried that.  I do not
remember what limitations I Ran into with that approach.  I didn't know
it was turned into a SpriteVisualElement.  I had no idea you could just
create an FXG asset directly in ActionScript as a SpriteVisualElement.
If it always worked like that; I completely missed it.

  In theory the same class I provided could be used to encapsulate
library elements from a Flash Pro SWF; but I haven't tested that approach.

  The extra properties I have on the class (xOffset, yOffset,
heightIncrement, and widthIncrement) actually exist because of problems
I had with Flash Pro animations showing up in the wrong locations on
different DPIs in mobile applications.  This was a quick way to tweak
the positioning.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur