Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Gal Aviel <ga...@yahoo.com> on 2006/06/19 10:46:02 UTC

Feature request : locking : which working copy

Hi All,

Working with Novice users, they tend to checkout several working copies, then
then don't remember from which working copy they locked a file, and then lock
has to be broken.

Having this piece of information in the repository would be helpful to determine
which working copy holds the lock token, so that it can be cleanly unlocked.

Opinions ? should I submit as a feature request / enhancement ?

thanks, Gal.

Re: Feature request : locking : which working copy

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jun 19, 2006, at 12:46, Gal Aviel wrote:

> Working with Novice users, they tend to checkout several working
> copies, then
> then don't remember from which working copy they locked a file, and
> then lock
> has to be broken.
>
> Having this piece of information in the repository would be helpful
> to determine
> which working copy holds the lock token, so that it can be cleanly
> unlocked.
>
> Opinions ? should I submit as a feature request / enhancement ?

How would you keep track of it?

The user is free to move their working copy at any time. It doesn't
break anything.

Suppose the user locks a file, then renames and/or moves the working
copy, or even moves it to a different machine. These are all valid
operations for users to perform on working copies, and the server is
never informed about any of it, because, except for this new lock-
tracking idea, I'm not aware of any reason why the server would need
to know.

Re: Feature request : locking : which working copy

Posted by Gal Aviel <ga...@yahoo.com>.
Since they keep loosing their WC's, they probably won't
remember to enter a lock message in a specific format :).

And there is no way to enforce it (the pre or post lock
hook do not get the message as an argument to my
best knowledge).

thanks for the help anyway !

Posted by Steve Williams <st...@kromestudios.com>.
Gal Aviel wrote:
> I am however interested in some form of log, even if the WC can be moved after
> locking.
>
> I thought about using pre/post-lock hook in order to append to some log file,
> but the CWD is not defined in the environment where these scripts are run. So I
> guess I just have to find myself a nice stick then ...

When a user locks a file, you can already add a lock message.  Get the
users to enter their WC path in that lock message.

--
Sly

This message and its attachments may contain legally privileged or confidential information. This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you may not copy or deliver this message or its attachments to anyone. Rather, you should permanently delete this message and its attachments and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail. Any content of this message and its attachments, which does not relate to the official business of the sending company must be taken not to have been sent or endorsed by the sending company or any of its related entities. No warranty is made that the e-mail or attachment(s) are free from computer virus or other defect.

Re: Feature request : locking : which working copy

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.
> You are perfectly right. Users may move their WC; in this case having this
> piece
> of information in the repository does not make sense.
>
> I am however interested in some form of log, even if the WC can be moved
> after
> locking.
>
> I thought about using pre/post-lock hook in order to append to some log
> file,
> but the CWD is not defined in the environment where these scripts are run.
> So I
> guess I just have to find myself a nice stick then ...
>
> thanks again for your replies,
>
> Gal.

Can you put in a pre-commit to examine the message for lock operations, and
insist that such commits have a specified format with
"$localhostname:$dirname"?

Re: Feature request : locking : which working copy

Posted by Steve Williams <st...@kromestudios.com>.
Gal Aviel wrote:
> Working with Novice users, they tend to checkout several working copies, then
> then don't remember from which working copy they locked a file, and then lock
> has to be broken.
>
> Having this piece of information in the repository would be helpful to determine
> which working copy holds the lock token, so that it can be cleanly unlocked.
>
> Opinions ? should I submit as a feature request / enhancement ?

There is a major flaw in your plan.  A user can move a working copy.
The server therefore does not, and should not, know anything about a
particular user's working copy.

I would suggest a large piece of wood as a management tool.