Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Sandeep Reddy P <sa...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/09 16:26:07 UTC

Hive append support

Hi,
Is there any version of Hive for append operations (Insert or Update) via
HiveQL? If so please point me at any HiveQL documentation that explains how
the append operations work?

sandeep

Re: Hive append support

Posted by Sandeep Reddy P <sa...@gmail.com>.
HI,
Can we consider using HBASE for the same?

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 1:19 PM, Sandeep Reddy P <sandeepreddy.3647@gmail.com

sandeep

Re: Hive append support

Posted by Sandeep Reddy P <sa...@gmail.com>.
Thank you all for the info.

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Bob Gause <bo...@zyquest.com> wrote:

> Hive has no update & delete statements.
>
> You can drop a table, and that is as closes to a delete as you get.
>
> The only "update" you get is to append more data to a table. There is
> INSERT OVERWRITE & INSERT. The first will create the first set of rows in
> the table, the second will append more data to the table.
>
> Coming from another database, you will have to modify your way of thinking
> and doing things. You will have to stretch some of your operations out into
> intermediate temp tables. We have a lot more tables in our Hive process
> than we had in our MySQL/Postgres process.
>
> Hope this helps….
> Bob
>
> Robert Gause
> Senior Systems Engineer
> ZyQuest, Inc.
> bob.gause@zyquest.com
>
> On Aug 9, 2012, at 10:49 AM, Sandeep Reddy P wrote:
>
> Hi Bejoy,
> Thanks for the link. When you say updates are not supported directly is
> there any other way we can update data in HDFS/Hive?
>

> On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 10:30 AM, Bejoy Ks <be...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Sandeep
>>
>> If you are looking at inserting more data into existing tables that has
>> data, the yes it is supported in hive from 0.8 (i guess). You can see the
>> INSERT INTO documentation here
>>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/Hive/languagemanual-dml.html#LanguageManualDML-InsertingdataintoHiveTablesfromqueries
>>
>> Updates are not supported by hive directly.
>>
>> Regards,
>>  Bejoy KS
>>
>>   ------------------------------

sandeep

Re: Hive append support

Posted by Bob Gause <bo...@zyquest.com>.

bob.gause@zyquest.com<ma...@zyquest.com>

________________________________

Re: Hive append support

Posted by Bejoy Ks <be...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Sandeep

In some scenarios we badly have to implement updates for our use cases. We end up overwriting a partition/sub partition in hive rather than overwriting the whole table to have least performance impact. You need to intelligently decide on partitions based on your use case for having a least over head while implementing updates using overwrite.

I have scribbled something long back, it can give you some idea on it
http://kickstarthadoop.blogspot.in/2011/06/implementing-basic-sql-update-statement.html

Regards,
Bejoy KS

________________________________
Thanks for the link. When you say updates are not supported directly is there any other way we can update data in HDFS/Hive?

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 10:30 AM, Bejoy Ks <be...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi Sandeep

>If you are looking at inserting more data into existing tables that has data, the yes it is supported in hive from 0.8 (i guess). You can see the INSERT INTO documentation here
>https://cwiki.apache.org/Hive/languagemanual-dml.html#LanguageManualDML-InsertingdataintoHiveTablesfromqueries
>

>Updates are not supported by hive directly.
>

>Regards,
>Bejoy KS
>

>________________________________

sandeep

Re: Hive append support

Posted by Sandeep Reddy P <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bejoy,
Thanks for the link. When you say updates are not supported directly is
there any other way we can update data in HDFS/Hive?

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 10:30 AM, Bejoy Ks <be...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Sandeep
>
> If you are looking at inserting more data into existing tables that has
> data, the yes it is supported in hive from 0.8 (i guess). You can see the
> INSERT INTO documentation here
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/Hive/languagemanual-dml.html#LanguageManualDML-InsertingdataintoHiveTablesfromqueries
>
> Updates are not supported by hive directly.
>
> Regards,
> Bejoy KS

sandeep

Re: Hive append support