Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Martin Perez <mp...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/04 10:08:01 UTC

Support for hidden nodes

Hello.

Please, forgive me if this topic was discussed before. I searched on the
mailing list but I did not find any references.

Currently, in our product, we were discussing about the implementation of
logical deletes. We are interesting in offering support for logical delete
operations for documents. This could be very necessary in some scenarios due
to legal issues. For example, in Europe some document types (for example
invoices) cannot be deleted and must be maintained on their storage for
several years. So, when an user deletes this documents the system should be
able to keep a copy. Well, this is only the background.

We have implemented this in a very simple way: adding an active property to
all trackable nodes. Pretty easy. But now we have a problem. Our system,
successfully hides "deleted" documents to the users, but when an user will
try to use the WebDAV browser (we are using the contrib module) he will see
the "deleted" documents, because for Jackrabbit they are normal nodes.

So, my question is, does it have any sense to allow to tag nodes as hidden
on a Jackrabbit repository?

I know that is something that is not reflected on the spec. Anyways, do you
think is an interesting feature for futurible releases? Also, what about
supporting logical delete operations?

Martin

Re: Support for hidden nodes

Posted by Brian Moseley <bc...@osafoundation.org>.
On 2/4/06, Martin Perez <mp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We have implemented this in a very simple way: adding an active property to
> all trackable nodes. Pretty easy. But now we have a problem. Our system,
> successfully hides "deleted" documents to the users, but when an user will
> try to use the WebDAV browser (we are using the contrib module) he will see
> the "deleted" documents, because for Jackrabbit they are normal nodes.

this doesn't directly answer your question, but: perhaps you could add
a special mixin type to the deleted node and then add that node type
to the webdav resource config so that it gets filtered. would that
work for you?