Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/04 16:34:19 UTC

Re: [classlib] [ldap] support for multiple VMs?

2006/8/28, Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com>:
> Oliver Deakin wrote:
> > Hi Alexey,
> >
> > I have taken a look at the patch - generally it looks good to me, and
> > if it all
> > works ok when you test it, it's fine by me.
> >
> > I think if there are cases where some functionality is repeated many
> > times, it
> > would be good to see it split out somewhere central. However, Im not sure
> > the port library is the right place for these functions - the port
> > library is really a
> > generic front hiding platform specific operations. These functions do
> > not really
> > fit into that category - perhaps they would be better placed in the
> > common
> > library (luni/src/main/native/common)? This component provides a set of
> > helper functions required by many native modules, and seems like the
> > right
> > place to put them.
> Agree, portlib is designed to encapsulate OS/architecture difference,
> and it should be taken care to be concise, so that it can be ported
> easily to as many platforms as possible(at least to those Harmony
> planned to support),  it is not a common library.

Paulex, Oliver,

Sorry for late response, I fully agree with your considerations. I was
just not familiar enough with luni natives structure and was drawn
away with idea of runtime code sharing. But indeed common lib with
static linkage is appropriate for the case.
So I rearranged the patch for HARMONY-1243, please review and commit.
Seems there are good cases for using these common functions, for
example issue #1386.

--
WBR,
Alexey