Posted to dev@taverna.apache.org by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org> on 2016/06/23 10:43:56 UTC

CWL Browser: File vs Path when parsing *.cwl

Thilina,

Thanks for your latest pull request.

Now I wonder if we could change from using the classic java.util.File
to the more modern java.nio.file.Path here:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-common-activities/blob/cwl-browse/taverna-cwl-activity-ui/src/main/java/org/apache/taverna/cwl/ui/serviceprovider/CwlServiceProvider.java#L47

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/nio/file/Path.html
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/nio/file/Paths.html
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/nio/file/Files.html

(In theory this would also allow you to read a whole Research Object
bundle ZIP file containing many CWL descriptions)

If you combine this with Java 8 lambdas this should also simplify how
you do directory browsing, file name filtering and file opening, e.g.
something like:

     try (DirectoryStream<Path> stream = Files.newDirectoryStream(dir,
          p -> p.endsWith(".cwl");
      )) {
          for (Path p : stream) {
          }
      }

Also I see you do callBack.partialResults() with a growing list - it's
not a big problem as duplicates are skipped based on their identifier,
but - you can do result.clear() in-between to just provide the new
partial results.  Perhaps we should try this on a large directory (say
150 *.cwl files?) to see if it's fast enough - you could in theory
parse multiple CWL files concurrently (but not too many!) and deliver
them independently.

If you want to play with Java 8 streams and paralellism, perhaps something like:

Stream<Path> s = StreamSupport.stream(stream.spliterator(), true);
s.forEach(this::parseCwlFile) ;

with a new method

void parserCwlFile(Path p);

that does the parsing and adding of its partial results.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: CWL Browser: File vs Path when parsing *.cwl

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
Hi!

As always. full links are great..

https://github.com/ThilinaManamgoda/incubator-taverna-common-activities/blob/stream/taverna-cwl-activity-ui/src/main/java/org/apache/taverna/cwl/ui/serviceprovider/CwlServiceProvider.java#L50

looks to me like it should work, except for the shared variable
"result" which would not be thread-safe to be accessed by the lambdas
from a parallel stream.

You don't need to keep the List,now you can instead do
callBack.partialResults(Arrays.asList(result));

(or even look at using partialResults together with stream's
.collect()/.reduce() methods - but that might slow down appearance in
the UI)

Instead of e.printStackTrace(); you can do callBack.warning() or callBack.fail()
and then the error should be both logged and shown in the UI.

In general using e.printStackTrace() is a bad idea beyond examples.
In Taverna we (still) use log4j 1, so it's quite easy to do logging.

If there's an exception that you log, then you should also return
right away, so you don't keep getting NullPointerException on the
lines below when the variable didn't get initialized.

Can you reduce  catch (Exception e) {}  to the actual exception that
could happen?

Posted by Thilina Manamgoda <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I have changed it. How about now :
https://github.com/ThilinaManamgoda/incubator-taverna-common-activities/blob/workbench/taverna-cwl-activity-ui/src/main/java/org/apache/taverna/cwl/ui/serviceprovider/CwlServiceProvider.java

i have removed the taverna-activity-test-utils dependency. Although
workbench runs it doesn't recognize CWL Ui plugin. Import service doesn't
contain CWL Service ?

regards,,
Thilina.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thilina Manamgoda <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
To use log4j, just instantiate a org.apache.log4j.Logger:

Logger logger = Logger.getLogger(CwlServiceProvider.class); //
whatever class you are in

try {
  // ...
} catch (IOException ex) {
  logger.warn("Could not shutdown the internet", ex);
  return;   // we'll have to give up then
}

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
Yes, remove the <dependency> on taverna-activity-test-utils - this brings in
taverna=reference-impl from Taverna 3 which says

stain@biggiebuntu:~/src/taverna$ grep -r
org.apache.taverna.platform.spring.ArtifactSupportNamespaceHandler .
./incubator-taverna-engine/taverna-reference-impl/src/main/resources/META-INF/spring.handlers:http\://taverna.sf.net/schema/artifact-support=org.apache.taverna.platform.spring.ArtifactSupportNamespaceHandler

... but no such class exists anymore in T3 - it was used to support
Taverna 2 "Raven" extensions.

https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-engine/blob/dc2f51d12be58d1dc35b8a0d090c1cfea360ecfe/reference-impl/src/main/java/net/sf/taverna/platform/spring/ArtifactSupportNamespaceHandler.java

I've deleted the spring.handlers file from taverna-reference-impl

As this error didn't show up in the command line run I don't think
it's a problem for the current RC - but worth keeping in mind if the
Taverna 3 workbench causes the same error.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thilina Manamgoda <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.