Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Alistair Young <al...@smo.uhi.ac.uk> on 2007/04/12 15:18:57 UTC

[AXIS2] how to reduce build time

I'm using:

maven -Dskip.enterprise.tests=true -Dmaven.test.skip=true clean
release dist

but it takes about 2 hours to build. Is there a quicker way of
building a binary release?

thanks,

Alistair

--------------
mov eax,1
mov ebx,0
int 80h

Re: [AXIS2] how to reduce build time

Posted by Saminda Abeyruwan <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Maven2 build is up and running, it doesn't have a profile/goal to create the
binary distribution yet.  If you try,

mvn clean install -Dmaven.test.skip=true -U -up  with (Maven2 2.0.6)

It'll create the axis2-XXX.jar and other artifacts.

Thank you

Saminda

On 4/12/07, Alistair Young <al...@smo.uhi.ac.uk> wrote:

> thanks Glen - where can I find the build log?
> it constantly displays:
> Attempting to download XXX-SNAPSHOT.jar
> over and over again
> and it seems to be cycling through the same builds over and over again
>
> Alistair
>

> --------------
> mov eax,1
> mov ebx,0
> int 80h
>

> On 12 Apr 2007, at 14:27, Glen Daniels wrote:
>
> Hi Alistair:
>
> Alistair Young wrote:
>
> I'm using:
> maven -Dskip.enterprise.tests=true -Dmaven.test.skip=true clean release
> dist
> but it takes about 2 hours to build. Is there a quicker way of building a
> binary release?
>

> Holy frijole!  That doesn't seem to make sense, since when I run "maven
> clean jar" even on my slowish laptop it takes under an hour.  I'm
> certainly no maven expert, but maybe you could post the build log and
> someone here could take a look?  Are the tests really getting skipped?
>
> You might also try Maven2, but the M2 build is broken right at the moment.
> :(  That will hopefully get cleared up later today....
>
> --G

Saminda Abeyruwan

Software Engineer
WSO2 Inc. - www.wso2.org

Re: [AXIS2] how to reduce build time

Posted by Thilina Gunarathne <cs...@gmail.com>.
> I agree that it's weird and sort of silly that Maven seems to check ALL
> of the repositories for each dependency.  Anyone know if there's a way
> to turn that off?
"-o" is my favourite way...

AFAIK there are couple of other good but complex ways to make it stop
too, which did not come to my head at this moment....

You should be able to get a build in less than 5 mins with all the
switches you have mentioned..

Thanks,
Thilina

Thilina Gunarathne  -  http://www.wso2.com - http://thilinag.blogspot.com

Re: [AXIS2] how to reduce build time

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com>.
> I agree that it's weird and sort of silly that Maven seems to check
> ALL of the repositories for each dependency.  Anyone know if there's a
> way to turn that off?
AFAIK it is a deficiency in Maven 1 where a snapshot is looked up from
each remote repo multiple times. To take even longer.. it checks for a
snapshot in each repo where snapshots are marked as enabled, and also
looks for a POM before each such artifact is looked up.

Even Maven 2 looks up POMs for all artifacts before each online build -
but only once per run/build, and by limiting your repositories you could
considerably reduce the build time. Also unit tests and general
execution with Maven 2 (2.0.6) is much faster than Maven 1. Although
Maven may not be the ultimate build tool, Maven 2 is definitely better
than Maven 1

asankha

Re: [AXIS2] how to reduce build time

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Just redirect the output to a file and send that along for starters.

Posted by Alistair Young <al...@smo.uhi.ac.uk>.

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Hi Alistair: