Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch> on 2002/02/11 10:33:43 UTC

Re: XML Parsing [2] (RTF document header)

On Monday 11 February 2002 10:19, Keiron Liddle wrote:
>. . .
> At the end of a page sequence we know that all pages in the page
> sequence can be rendered without being effected by any further XML.

Note that this won't be the case with RTF: AFAIK an RTF document has to
contain a "document header" with font tables, tables of list formats
etc. This header has to come at the beginning of the document but most
of the information (notably information about list formats) it contains
won't be available until much later in the document.

This is a problem if we want to generate RTF on the fly, and we don't
have a solution for this in jfor yet, we just keep the RTF document in
memory until it is complete.

- Bertrand

Re: XML Parsing [2] (RTF document header)

Posted by Keiron Liddle <ke...@aftexsw.com>.
After a bit of a think I realise that this statement isn't completely
true. Pages may still contain unresolved page numbers or links. What I
meant is that the layout can be completed and pages that are finished can
be rendered. The layout managers themselves can do this a page at a time.

If pages cannot be rendered immediately due to unresolved things or
formats like rtf then we should be able to cache the pages, if not they
must stay in memory but this info is for later.