Posted to dev@marmotta.apache.org by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org> on 2012/12/11 17:06:53 UTC

web infrastructure for the project

Hi,

one of the initial thing we'd need to setup is a proper website for the
project under the new normative domain under incubator [1]. Before Infra
team would be able to solve INFRA-5664 issue, they are awaiting for a
decision from us.

Basically we have two options [3]:

a) CMS-based site [4]
b) svnpubsub-based site [5]

On the one hand, CMS looks great for maintenance using the bookmarklet,
allowing a more flexible structure far from how code is organized. On
the other hand, besides some bugs I'm pretty sure we can solve,
svnpubsub allow us to use maven site, keeping in that way synchronized
public website with the actual development status.

So, by vote goes for 'b'.

Cheers,

[1] http://marmotta.incubator.apache.org
[2] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-5624
[3] http://www.apache.org/dev/infra-contact#what-we-need-to-know
[4] http://www.apache.org/dev/cms
[5] http://www.apache.org/dev/project-site#intro
--
Sergio Fernández

Re: web infrastructure for the project

Posted by Sebastian Schaffert <ss...@apache.org>.
I also vote for b)

I like the idea of being able to manage the project website together with
the source code. For topics that don't follow the software release cycle we
anyways have the wiki.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Raffaele Palmieri
<ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I viewed tutorial for using bookmarklet in CMS; it is very comfortable
> update content specially for individuals who will not have aligned
> environment for building source code, I think about advanced users that
> could produce technical documentation of tools released by the project.
> So if it's possible to combine that feature with svnpubsub, I think it's
> the best option....

Apache CMS content is managed in svn and you can always edit it
manually or generate parts of it.

See http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/stanbol/site/trunk/ for example,
which holds the content of http://stanbol.apache.org/

Editing content in svn triggers the CMS build process, which puts
content at http://stanbol.staging.apache.org/ - you then just need to
publish the content to the live site from cms.apache.org

-Bertrand

Re: web infrastructure for the project

Posted by Raffaele Palmieri <ra...@gmail.com>.
I viewed tutorial for using bookmarklet in CMS; it is very comfortable
update content specially for individuals who will not have aligned
environment for building source code, I think about advanced users that
could produce technical documentation of tools released by the project.
So if it's possible to combine that feature with svnpubsub, I think it's
the best option.
Regards,
Raffaele.

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Andy. It's working now.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nandana Mihindukulasooriya <na...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Sergio Fernández <se...@salzburgresearch.at>.
Hi,

resuming MARMOTTA-4, more precisely INFRA-5624, I noticed that I can't
commit at https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/marmotta

INFRA team commented me at IRC that our mentors need to set up acl. So,
Fabian, Nandana or Andy, could you please take care of it?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

--
Sergio Fernández
Salzburg Research

Re: web infrastructure for the project

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On 11/12/12 18:46, Nandana Mihindukulasooriya wrote:
> I didn't get much time to dig into details but AFAIK maven generated site
> can be used with option a) as well. I think Maven project is doing it that
> way.

If that would be possible, I think it'll solve all our expectations.
I'll ask to INFRA about it.

Posted by Nandana Mihindukulasooriya <na...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 5:06 PM, Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org> wrote:

> a) CMS-based site [4]
> b) svnpubsub-based site [5]
>
> On the one hand, CMS looks great for maintenance using the bookmarklet,
> allowing a more flexible structure far from how code is organized. On the
> other hand, besides some bugs I'm pretty sure we can solve, svnpubsub allow
> us to use maven site, keeping in that way synchronized public website with
> the actual development status.

I didn't get much time to dig into details but AFAIK maven generated site
can be used with option a) as well. I think Maven project is doing it that
way [1, 2].

Best Regards,
Nandana

[1] - http://markmail.org/message/ksxhdh3pxc4t5qpp
[2] - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-5591
[3] - https://blogs.apache.org/infra/entry/apache_cms_and_external_build
[4] - http://maventest.apache.org/

Re: web infrastructure for the project

Posted by Jakob Frank <ja...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2012-12-11 at 17:06 +0100, Sergio Fernández wrote:
> b) svnpubsub-based site [5]
>
> On the other hand, besides some bugs I'm pretty sure we can solve,
> svnpubsub allow us to use maven site, keeping in that way synchronized
> public website with the actual development status.
+1

Best
Jakob