Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/10 19:30:54 UTC

[podling setup] Bloodhound alternative for issues

Hi,

we suggest using Jira or Bugzilla for new podlings:
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html#template-issue-tracking

But we have Apache Bloodhound, and they have an installed instance here:
https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound

I am not sure if it is ready for other projects, but can imagine.
Anybody knows about the status?

If it is ready for us I think we should invite podlings to use
Bloodhound - and maybe even suggest Bloodhound as first idea.

Thoughts?

Christian

Re: [podling setup] Bloodhound alternative for issues

Posted by Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.
Christian suggested Bloodhound could be offered as an issue tracking tool
for new podlings in the incubator. I think that's a great idea.

What do you think is left to do for this to be feasible? How far away is
our multi product support for example from being stable?

- Joe

On 11 April 2013 19:00, Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>wrote:

> On 10 April 2013 19:22, Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 7:35 PM, Joe Dreimann
>> <jo...@wandisco.com> wrote:
>> > I think that's a great idea Christian.
>> >
>> > We will need to improve our MultiProduct support a little further
>> before its ready, but hopefully that's not far away.
>>
>> Oh, cool. Maybe it would be a good idea to speak with the BH team on
>> the idea, others might have some more issues they want to clear out
>> before going such a path.

> next week.
>

>> > Will it need to be vetted by Infra for security etc?
>>
>> I don't know, but it is surely a good idea to ask Infra for advice on
>> that matter.
>>

> Will do.
>

>> Is there a chance to import tickets from Bugzilla or Jira btw? I mean,
>> if a project wants to move.
>>

> Cheers
>> Christian
>

> We've not had any contributions in that direction, but there are tools
> available for Trac that may serve as a starting point. I would argue that
> migration tools for specific source applications should be out of the scope
> of the core project, but that's a discussion for the Bloodhound community.
>
> Cheers,
> Joe
>

>> > - Joe
>> >
>> > ________________________
>> > @jdreimann - Twitter
>> > Sent from my phone

>> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html#template-issue-tracking

>> here:

>> --
>> http://www.grobmeier.de
>> https://www.timeandbill.de

Joe Dreimann | *User Experience Designer* | WANdisco<http://www.wandisco.com/>

@jdreimann <https://twitter.com/jdreimann>
*
*
*Join one of our free daily demo sessions on* *Scaling Subversion for the
Enterprise <http://www.wandisco.com/training/webinars>*

THIS MESSAGE AND ANY ATTACHMENTS ARE CONFIDENTIAL, PROPRIETARY, AND MAY BE
PRIVILEGED.  If this message was misdirected, WANdisco, Inc. and its
subsidiaries, ("WANdisco") does not waive any confidentiality or privilege.
 If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately and
destroy the message without disclosing its contents to anyone.  Any
distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains
by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized.  The views and
opinions expressed in this e-mail message are the author's own and may not
reflect the views and opinions of WANdisco, unless the author is authorized
by WANdisco to express such views or opinions on its behalf.  All email
sent to or from this address is subject to electronic storage and review by
WANdisco.  Although WANdisco operates anti-virus programs, it does not
accept responsibility for any damage whatsoever caused by viruses being
passed.

Re: [podling setup] Bloodhound alternative for issues

Posted by Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.
On 10 April 2013 19:22, Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 7:35 PM, Joe Dreimann
> <jo...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> > I think that's a great idea Christian.
> >
> > We will need to improve our MultiProduct support a little further before
> its ready, but hopefully that's not far away.
>
> Oh, cool. Maybe it would be a good idea to speak with the BH team on
> the idea, others might have some more issues they want to clear out
> before going such a path.

next week.

> > Will it need to be vetted by Infra for security etc?
>
> I don't know, but it is surely a good idea to ask Infra for advice on
> that matter.

Will do.

> Is there a chance to import tickets from Bugzilla or Jira btw? I mean,
> if a project wants to move.

Cheers

Posted by Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.
On 10 April 2013 19:22, Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 7:35 PM, Joe Dreimann
> <jo...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> > I think that's a great idea Christian.
> >
> > We will need to improve our MultiProduct support a little further before
> its ready, but hopefully that's not far away.
>
> Oh, cool. Maybe it would be a good idea to speak with the BH team on
> the idea, others might have some more issues they want to clear out
> before going such a path.

next week.

> > Will it need to be vetted by Infra for security etc?
>
> I don't know, but it is surely a good idea to ask Infra for advice on
> that matter.

Will do.

> Is there a chance to import tickets from Bugzilla or Jira btw? I mean,
> if a project wants to move.

Cheers

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [podling setup] Bloodhound alternative for issues

Posted by Joe Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 4/10/13, Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

:)

> we suggest using Jira or Bugzilla for new podlings:
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html#template-issue-tracking
>
> But we have Apache Bloodhound, and they have an installed instance here:
> https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound
>
> I am not sure if it is ready for other projects, but can imagine.
> Anybody knows about the status?

The current state of the instance deployed in there is still focused
on hosting a single product (i.e. project) as we are running 0.4.0 .
We are in the process of publishing bug fix release 0.5.3 . While
running that version the situation will be exactly the same .

Multi-product support however is the main target for next major
version . As such, it has been committed into trunk and we are
actively working in the following directions :

  1. Unit and functional testing
  2. Improve support for DB backends (e.g. PostgreSQL)
  3. Data migration (JIRA, single-product Trac / Bloodhound upgrades)
  4. Usability details
     * notably those related to establishing a clear distinction
       between site admins (e.g. infra) and product admins (e.g.
       PMC power users)

Personally , I'll start to use trunk version on my own shortly after
some changes will be committed . Overall it's looking good enough to
try it .

So , ASF deployment for new podlings will be possible after releasing
version 0.6.0 (or 1.0 , depending on what version number is coming
next ;) . At that time the issue tracking platform and tools will be
ready for use by new podlings. Shortly after that milestone existing
TLP might even be able to migrate from JIRA if considered appropriate
. Support for migrating data hosted by other issue trackers will take
a little bit longer. Should anybody be interested on one such
migration (Bugzilla, Scarab, ...) please let us know.

> If it is ready for us I think we should invite podlings to use
> Bloodhound - and maybe even suggest Bloodhound as first idea.

We are very excited about the possibility of using it to assist ASF
communities in the process of «creating high quality software that
leads the way in its field» . One such deployment will be quite
important for us to gather feedback and improve the solution we've got
. The Bloodhound community will always welcome request for
enhancements and will be there for you to fix issues as soon as
possible .

> Thoughts?

It's worth to mention that even after all this happen there will be
limited or no support to connect the repository browser to the
repository at svn.apache.org . It all depends on the progress we can
make working on #478 [1]_ .

On the other hand it will be possible to do so for `git` repositories
. Based on my previous experience using Trac + Git this will actually
work . Beware of the fact that there's a lot of room for improvements
, especially when dealing with (big / huge) git repositories .

.. [1] SVN pubsub integration
       (https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/478)

Olemis.

Apache™ Bloodhound contributor