Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Lukasz Piwko <lu...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/10 13:52:37 UTC

Re: import problem -- solved

Hi

>> You have to consider the three slashes instead of two ;-)

Thank you, worked. I thought that that third slash was there because the Linux
path was not relative but absolute, hence that slash on the beginning :)

> Possibly THE _most encountered_ baffling error by svn.
>
> It'd be nice to special case this somehow and hand
> the user another / to play with.

I would agree.

--
Lukasz

Re: import problem -- solved

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,
> Thank you, worked. I thought that that third slash was there because the
> Linux path was not relative but absolute, hence that slash on the
> beginning :)

The pattern of the access in Subversion is:

protocol://host/directory

If you like to access a directory on the local machine you can write it:

protocol://localhost/directory...

If you use http you would write e.g.:

http://localhost/directory

If you access via file protocol, which means in other words on the local
machine you can omit the "localhost"

file://localhost/directory
which results in:
file:///directory

That's the reason why you have to write three slashes instead of
two....and if you are on linux/unix the part "/directory" has to be an
absolute path as you can imagine...

Kind regards.
Karl Heinz Marbaise
--