Posted to c-users@xerces.apache.org by Juan234 <an...@msn.com> on 2009/04/29 02:20:39 UTC

XMLChr*'s and Memory Management

Hi.  I'm writing a fairly simple XML document to disk using Xerces 2.7.0 &
C++.  I'm new to xerces and have two questions:

Is Xerces overkill if I'm just serializing to disk and not doing any
parsing?  Is it better to just use static strings with placeholders for the
data and glue them together?  Performance is a significant factor for me.

I build the DOMDocument in fragments, each put together in a different
method.  Is there any sane way to handle all the XMLChr*'s that get created
to put a document together like this?

I can't release the memory in the method that creates the xml fragment b/c
then it'd be garbage downstream.  I can't release the memory later on when
the document is written to disk, b/c I have no reference to it.  Should I
create a vector of every XMLChr* I create and delete each when I'm done?  I
had hoped that the DOMDocument would take care of this for me, but it looks
like I was mistaken.

Thanks,
Juan234