Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by David Boxenhorn <da...@lookin2.com> on 2010/11/28 15:32:20 UTC

Taking down a node in a 3-node cluster, RF=2

For the vast majority of my data usage eventual consistency is fine (i.e.
CL=ONE) but I have a small amount of critical data for which I read and
write using CL=QUORUM.

If I have a cluster with 3 nodes and RF=2, and CL=QUORUM does that mean that
a value can be read from or written to any 2 nodes, or does it have to be
the particular 2 nodes that store the data? If it is the particular 2 nodes
that store the data, that means that I can't even take down one node, since
it will be the mandatory 2nd node for 1/3 of my data...

Re: Taking down a node in a 3-node cluster, RF=2

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
Put another way, "for RF=2, QUORUM is equivalent to ALL."

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra

Re: Taking down a node in a 3-node cluster, RF=2

Posted by David Boxenhorn <da...@lookin2.com>.
For that matter, RF=1 and QUORUM are incompatible (if you want to be able to
take a node down).

In other words, if you use QUORUM, you need RF>=3.

Posted by Jake Luciani <ja...@gmail.com>.
Right.

Posted by David Boxenhorn <da...@lookin2.com>.

Posted by Jake Luciani <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sylvain Lebresne <sy...@yakaz.com>.
On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 6:26 PM, David Boxenhorn <da...@lookin2.com> wrote:
> Hints only happen when a node is unavailable and you are writing with CL.ANY
>
> If you never write with CL.ANY then you can turn off hinted handoff.

Hints happens at any consistency level. But they never helps to
reach the consistency level requirements, except at CL.ANY.

To say this otherwise, HH are (only) useful to make dead nodes 'catch up'
quicker when they are back up (that is, without waiting for a read-repair or
a nodetool repair to happen). But they doesn't help a write to work where it
wouldn't have without HH.
Except at CL.ANY. At CL.ANY, even if all the replicas for the data you are
writting are dead, the write is still accepted and a hint will be used.

--
Sylvain

Posted by David Boxenhorn <da...@lookin2.com>.

Posted by Sylvain Lebresne <sy...@yakaz.com>.
Actually you can't. As explained in the wiki page linked:
"A hinted write does NOT count towards ConsistencyLevel requirements
of ONE, QUORUM, or ALL"

For CL.QUORUM, you do need QUORUM *replicas* to be alive to answer
the query. At RF=2, QUORUM=2 so no, you cannot take down any node
down or (some) quorum writes/reads will result in UnavailableException. And this
is not related to the number of node you have, only to the replication factor.

If you want to support having a node down, you need to have RF=3. For that
very reason, this is the minimum replication factor I would advise for a
production cluster.

--
Sylvain

Posted by Jake Luciani <ja...@gmail.com>.