Posted to users@airflow.apache.org by Furcy Pin <pi...@gmail.com> on 2021/10/08 15:52:37 UTC

DAG graph layout changed in Airflow 2

Hi there,

I was working on a migration towards Airflow 2 and I noticed that the way
that the dags is layed out seems to have changed.

To illustrate this I made a small DAG and took a before/after screenshot.
I made a pattern like this :

start >> a1 >> end
start >> b1 >> b2 >> end
start >> c1 >> c2 >> c3 >> end
start >> d1 >> d2 >> d3 >> d4 >> end
start >> e1 >> e2 >> e3 >> e4 >> e5 >> end

As you can see in the screenshot, the tasks were aligned from the left in
Airflow 1, but they are now aligned from the right in Airflow 2.

(At this point you might be thinking it's because of the option
*airflow.models.dag.ORIENTATION_PRESETS*,
but as you can see in the screenshot I used the same LEFT->RIGHT layout in
both)

On more complex DAGs, this seems to make the graph much harder to read in
Airflow 2 than Airflow 1.

So, my question is this:
Does anyone know exactly what changed between Airflow 1 and 2 ?
Is it an option in the automatic graph layout library used by Airflow that
changed ?
If so, would it be possible to add an Airflow configuration option to
change those options ?

Many thanks,

Furcy