Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2003/07/14 19:03:17 UTC

Re: cvs commit: [...] Document.java

gregor@apache.org wrote:

 >   +	String getDCCreator();
 >   +	String getDCTitle();
 >   +	String getDCSubject();
 >   +	String getDCDescription();
 >   +	String getDCRights();

My feeling says that it would make sense to factor this
out of Document. What about using a dublin core class:

document.getDublinCore().getCreator()

This way, changes to the dublin core don't have to be
reflected in the Document interface and all its implementations.
And it would be a good basis for a GoF proxy implementation
of the dublin core which requires parsing the document.

What do you think?

Andreas

Re: cvs commit: [...] Document.java

Posted by Christian Egli <ch...@wyona.com>.
"Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org> writes:

> >> My feeling says that it would make sense to factor this
> >> out of Document. What about using a dublin core class:
> >>
> >> document.getDublinCore().getCreator()
>
> ok, sounds good.

So who's eager to do it?

--
Christian Egli       christian.egli@wyona.com   +41 1 272 9161
                     Wyona AG, Hardstrasse 219, CH-8005 Zurich

Re: cvs commit: [...] Document.java

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

Re: cvs commit: [...] Document.java

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> gregor@apache.org wrote:
>
>  >   +    String getDCCreator();
>  >   +    String getDCTitle();
>  >   +    String getDCSubject();
>  >   +    String getDCDescription();
>  >   +    String getDCRights();
>
> My feeling says that it would make sense to factor this
> out of Document. What about using a dublin core class:
>
> document.getDublinCore().getCreator()
>
> This way, changes to the dublin core don't have to be
> reflected in the Document interface and all its implementations.
> And it would be a good basis for a GoF proxy implementation
> of the dublin core which requires parsing the document.
>
> What do you think?

agreed. It would also allow better reuse.

Thanks

Michael

> Andreas

Michael Wechner
Wyona Ltd.  -   Open Source Content Management   -   Apache Lenya

Re: cvs commit: [...] Document.java

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>
>> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>>
>>> Sounds reasonable. Could you point us to some of these projects?
>>>
>>> Maybe we can start with a Metadata interface:
>>>
>>> - MetaData Document.getMetaData()
>>> - class DublinCore implements MetaData
>>

>> im -1 to extend interfaces for the sake of it.
>

> Of course, you're right. But is it just for the sake of it, or do
> people really need other metadata standards? IMHO we should at least
> think about extensibility and decide if it's worth implementing it.

I guess Andreas just wants to make the interface generic and not
necessarily implement other standards beside Dublin Core. So I don't see
any reason to worry.

Thanks

Michael

Re: cvs commit: [...] Document.java

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Re: cvs commit: [...] Document.java

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

http://wyona.com                   http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya

Re: cvs commit: [...] Document.java

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Alex McLintock wrote:

[...]

>> document.getDublinCore().getCreator()
>
> Although I am a big fan of DublinCore (it is after all better than no
> standard)
> there are large groups of people out there who use competing standards to
> Dublin Core. Please make it pluggable if possible.

Sounds reasonable. Could you point us to some of these projects?

Maybe we can start with a Metadata interface:

- MetaData Document.getMetaData()
- class DublinCore implements MetaData

The metadata classname would probably be added to the doctype
definition.

Andreas

Re: cvs commit: [...] Document.java

Posted by Alex McLintock <al...@OWAL.co.uk>.
At 18:03 14/07/03, you wrote:
>gregor@apache.org wrote:
>
> >   +   String getDCCreator();
> >   +   String getDCTitle();
> >   +   String getDCSubject();
> >   +   String getDCDescription();
> >   +   String getDCRights();
>
>My feeling says that it would make sense to factor this
>out of Document. What about using a dublin core class:
>
>document.getDublinCore().getCreator()

Although I am a big fan of DublinCore (it is after all better than no standard)
there are large groups of people out there who use competing standards to
Dublin Core. Please make it pluggable if possible.

Alex

Available for java/perl/C++/web development in London, UK or nearby.
Apache FOP, Cocoon, Turbine, Struts,XSL:FO, XML, Tomcat, JSP
http://www.OWAL.co.uk/