Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Kirk Lund <kl...@apache.org> on 2017/03/27 18:02:53 UTC

Writing JMH benchmarks for Geode

I was about to writing some JMH benchmarks for specific areas of Geode code
and place the benchmarks in src/jmh/java parallel to src/main/java and
src/tests/java in the appropriate geode module containing the code I want
to benchmark.

I see that we already have a "geode-benchmarks" module which seems to house
src/jmh/java for a single Query benchmark. One result of this is that we
have a module (maybe other modules are like this too?) which doesn't really
produce an artifact that is meaningful outside of Geode.

I would much prefer to model our approach after tutorials and how-to-videos
and other projects and  keep my src/jmh/java code within the same module as
the src/main/java code that I'm testing. Should I file a Geode ticket to
proceed with adding benchmarks within the module I want to add benchmarks
to? Or do we have some strong reason for organizing them all within
geode-benchmarks?

Another good comparison is that we don't put all of our tests in
geode-tests.