Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Trystan Hughes <tr...@gmail.com> on 2005/09/26 19:13:08 UTC

[users@httpd] Alias Directive Issue (403 Forbidden Error)

Hi all,

I want to create an Alias in the apache httpd.conf file and have done
so like this

<IfModule mod_alias.c>
Alias /test_alias/ "C:\Documents and Settings\Trystan\My Documents\"
</IfModule>

So, what this should effective do is to print the directory contents
of 'My Documents' directory when I enter the following URL into my
browser...

http://localhost/text_alias/

I get a 403 Forbidden Error.

Why is this? How can I check to see what user the Apache server is
running under?

Thanks

Tryst

Re: [users@httpd] Alias Directive Issue (403 Forbidden Error)

Posted by Jessica Rasku <jr...@armispiansystems.ca>.
Trystan Hughes wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to create an Alias in the apache httpd.conf file and have done
> so like this
>
> <IfModule mod_alias.c>
> Alias /test_alias/ "C:\Documents and Settings\Trystan\My Documents\"
> </IfModule>
>
> So, what this should effective do is to print the directory contents
> of 'My Documents' directory when I enter the following URL into my
> browser...
>
> http://localhost/text_alias/

I know this isn't the issue because you're getting a 403 not 404 error,
but you've got test_alias, and text_alias.

> I get a 403 Forbidden Error.
>
> Why is this? How can I check to see what user the Apache server is
> running under?

Generally Apache runs under an un-privelaged user (I've not run under
Windows) such as nobody, or apache.  So what you have to do is set world
read access to the dirrectory and files.  This probably isn't what you
want to do.  Though it might work.  Another possibility is to put group
read access and put the apache user in the group.  That might work a
little better.

						Jessica

Re: [users@httpd] Apache2.0.48 Illegal instruction & Segmentation fault issues

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>.
On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 07:36:34PM -0700, Jignesh Badani wrote:
> [Mon Sep 26 18:25:45 2005] [notice] child pid 326 exit signal Illegal
> instruction (4)
>
> The management is wanting to know the cause and so do I. What is the best
> way to debug this ? I know we could upgrade to the latest 2.0.54 and we

Follow the instructions on obtaining a backtrace at this URL, and post
the backtrace here:

  http://httpd.apache.org/dev/debugging.html#crashes

joe

Re: [users@httpd] Apache2.0.48 Illegal instruction & Segmentation fault issues

Posted by Jignesh Badani <jb...@mmsa.com>.
Thanks Geoff,

> Out of interest, what SSL session cache type are you using on these
hosts?
> shmcb?

> Cheers,
> Geoff

We are using the default dbm on all 3 Apache instances.

We have had some shared memory errors when using shm* in the past and
reverted back to the default DBM.

regards
- -
Jignesh Badani
Intranet/Extranet Technical Services

Geoff Thorpe <ge...@geoffthorpe.net>
09/26/2005 08:50 PM

users@httpd.apache.org
cc
Jignesh Badani <jb...@mmsa.com>
Subject
Re: [users@httpd] Apache2.0.48  Illegal instruction & Segmentation fault
issues

Hi there,

--
Geoff Thorpe
geoff@geoffthorpe.net

Même ceux qui se sentent pas des nôtres, ne nous voyant plus à genoux,
seront, plus que jamais, chez eux chez nous.
  -- Loco Locass

Re: [users@httpd] Apache2.0.48 Illegal instruction & Segmentation fault issues

Posted by Geoff Thorpe <ge...@geoffthorpe.net>.
Hi there,

Posted by Jignesh Badani <jb...@mmsa.com>.
Thanks Nick,

If they started misbehaving, what has changed?  Any system libraries?
Kernel?  Hardware and/or drivers?  And if so, have you rebuilt apache
from clean source?

ANSWER: Nothing has changed apart from the OS patches from time to time.
And nothing recently. Also this problem has occured 3-4 times this year
and generally once every 2-3 months.

> 2 of the instances (2.0.48 - Extranet and 2.0.51 - Intranet) have
> Netegrity Siteminder Agents

... whatever that is ...

ANSWER: It is Apache module which is responsible for Access control
(Auth/Az) and SSO and communicates with a backend Policy Server for
decision making.

> running on them and nothing else (no perl, no
> php, nothing. They are straight forward Reverse Proxies). I do have  SSL
> enabled on each of the instances and use a Rainbow CSwift accelerator
> hardware.

Do you have anything in Apache to take advantage of that hardware?

ANSWER: If you mean, any directive in httpd.conf/ssl.conf to make use of
the Accelerator card, yes, I have compiled Apache with a CFLAGS
-DSSL_EXPERIMENTAL -DSSL_ENGINE which allows me to use the directive "
SSLCryptoDevice cswift" which instructs Apache to offload SSL processing
to the hardware.

> The management is wanting to know the cause and so do I. What is the
best
> way to debug this ?

Apart from running gdb on a core dump?

There are some debugging aids at http://people.apache.org/~trawick/

ANSWER:  Thanks. But I believe you need to compile Apache with debug
option, and second, the Apache instance does not crash, the parent and one
or 2 child processes are often up. But it is not responding to web
request.  So I guess there will be no core dump !?

regards
- -
Jignesh Badani
Intranet/Extranet Technical Services
x13563

Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>
09/27/2005 10:38 AM
Please respond to
users@httpd.apache.org

users@httpd.apache.org
cc

Subject

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.

Posted by Jignesh Badani <jb...@mmsa.com>.
Greetings Folks,

We have been running pretty smoothly 3 instances each of Apache2 (2 of
them on 2.0.48 and the 3rd one is running 2.0.51) for over an year now on
2 load balanced Solaris 8 (SunFire 480R 2 - Ultra Sparc 3 900Mhz CPU and 4
GB RAM) boxes.

2 of the instances (2.0.48 - Extranet and 2.0.51 - Intranet) have
Netegrity Siteminder Agents running on them and nothing else (no perl, no
php, nothing. They are straight forward Reverse Proxies). I do have  SSL
enabled on each of the instances and use a Rainbow CSwift accelerator
hardware.

But since the begining of the year, we have had this issue 3-4 times when
the Extranet instance (on either of the box) stops responding, the child
processes reduces from 8-10 to 2-3 and the error log is filled with the
errors below. Even the server-status page fails to load.

It happened again twice today, once on each server but on the same
Extranet instance which has the web agent. Also fyi, the Extranet instance
serves bulk of the load, say about 80%. And today it happened very late in
the day (around 5:00pm and 6:00pm PST) which is normally very light for
us. The server CPU and memory usages are pretty low (less then 30%).

[Mon Sep 26 18:01:09 2005] [notice] child pid 11892 exit signal
Segmentation fault (11)

[Mon Sep 26 18:25:03 2005] [notice] child pid 27766 exit signal Illegal
instruction      (4)
[Mon Sep 26 18:25:42 2005] [notice] child pid 27765 exit signal Illegal
instruction (4)
[Mon Sep 26 18:25:45 2005] [notice] child pid 326 exit signal Illegal
instruction (4)

The management is wanting to know the cause and so do I. What is the best
way to debug this ? I know we could upgrade to the latest 2.0.54 and we
are in the process to do so and move from Solaris to Suse SLES 9 in about
2-3 weeks time. Keep in mind, it only happens sporadically and we cannot
reproduce it. A restart of the instance resolves the issue.

Here is how I have compiled Apache (config.nice)

CFLAGS="-DSSL_EXPERIMENTAL -DSSL_ENGINE"; export CFLAGS
echo $CFLAGS
"./configure" \
"--prefix=/opt/apache2e" \
"--with-mpm=worker" \
"--enable-ssl" \
"--with-ssl=/opt/openssl" \
"--enable-nonportable-atomics=yes" \
"--enable-proxy=shared" \
"--disable-ipv6" \
"--cache-file=/export/home/xxxxx/install/apache_openssl/httpd-2.0.48e/config.cache"
\
"$@"

regards
- -

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 9/26/05, Trystan Hughes <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to create an Alias in the apache httpd.conf file and have done
> so like this
>
> <IfModule mod_alias.c>
> Alias /test_alias/ "C:\Documents and Settings\Trystan\My Documents\"
> </IfModule>

Two notes already:
1. Don't put something in an <IfModule> block unless you have some
specific reason to do so.  (The only valid specific reason is that you
expect at some point to remove mod_alias and you want your config to
continue working.)
2. Always use forward slashes in the apache config, even for windows paths.

> So, what this should effective do is to print the directory contents
> of 'My Documents' directory when I enter the following URL into my
> browser...
>
> http://localhost/text_alias/
>
> I get a 403 Forbidden Error.
>
> Why is this? How can I check to see what user the Apache server is
> running under?

Check the apache error log to start.  The user can be determined by
looking in the "Run as" section of the services control panel for the
apache service.

Joshua.