Posted to dev@hivemind.apache.org by in...@daimler.com on 2008/05/15 12:15:22 UTC

Reasons for using hivemind

Hi Hivemind team,

with some sadness and some astonishment I discovered your discussion about
letting hivemind die and all this stuff. This was a reason for me to stand
up for hivemind. I was a hivemind user right from the start (in 2003) and
I brought it into two companies (Entire Wilken AG, www.entire.de and
innoWake GmbH, www.innowake.de) as the application backbone for at least
two big application frameworks. I loved hivemind right from the start for
its simplicity and ability to do very complex things.
Back in 2003 we did a comparison of hivemind, spring and eclipse for its
abilities to serve as the framework backbone and decided that hivemind
would do the best.

The top reasons were:

1. Simplicity
2. Use of interfaces instead of beans as means of describing services
3. ability to modularize the application heavily in a simple and
convenient way
4. Simple creation of a plugin concept through the use of the
configuration elements in hivemind

In my opinion the points 2. and 4. are completly missing in spring and are
of no small concern. If you wish to build a complex application that
consists of many modules/plugins (take your favourite pick), then you need
some extension mechanism like the one in the eclipse platform (extension
point and extension). The concept of configuration points and contribution
is a very simple but powerful way similar to the one in eclipse and this
was our major reason to use hivemind and not spring.

I hope I could sum up some reasons why hivemind is so great and tell you
guys that it is still used. Keep up your work, don't let yourself get
depressed because spring seems such a big player. It is a bit like david
vs goliath, but it would be very sad if the diversity of ioc containers
would lack such a good component as hivemind is.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Kind regards

Christian Domsch
IT Berater

Daimler TSS GmbH
ITF/FM
Gebäude Haus 11
Zimmer 389
Plieninger Str. 140
70567 Stuttgart

Phone +49–(0)711/17–96817
mailto:innowake_gmbh.domsch@daimler.com

http://www.daimler-tss.com

Daimler TSS GmbH
Sitz und Registergericht/Domicile and Register Court: Ulm,
HRB-Nr./Commercial Register No.: 3844
Geschäftsführung/Management: Gerhard Streit (Vorsitzender/Chairperson),
Dr. Stefan Eberhardt
Beiratsvorsitzende/Chairperson of the Advisory Board: Dr. Marianne Tümpen

If you are not the intended addressee, please inform us immediately that you have received this e-mail in error, and delete it. We thank you for your cooperation.

Re: Reasons for using hivemind

Posted by Achim Hügen <ac...@gmx.de>.
Modularization and the extension point mechanism are indeed concepts,
spring is missing.
So one of my first steps with spring was the implementation of these
features on top of it,
which is working quite well. I hope, someday it will support extension
points natively, but
even the spring dynamic modules are not addressing that issue.

Achim

Posted by Juliano Viana <ju...@logicstyle.com>.
Hi,

Just to add my 2 cents to this discussion:
 - I've been using hivemind for about 3 years now in many projects
 - I am very satisfied with it
 - It has some small bugs but nothing that prevents anyone from working
with it
 - Hivemind utilities provides a lot of useful functionality not
provided by the core package, and perhaps should be mentioned in the
core documentation
 - I see no reason for a 2.0 version or any reason at all why it should
keep "evolving". It is just nice the way it is.
 - The only thing that could use a big improvement in my opinion is
documentation.

Regards,
  - Juliano