Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ganesan malairaja <ss...@hotmail.com> on 2005/07/05 09:36:10 UTC

apache and tomcat

hi guys ..

i am confused now...... i need help undeerstanding apache and tomcat ..

what purpose each serve and how to link both them ...

i want to know how to link html and applets   in tomcat htdoc folder to jsp
codes in tomcat webapps folder ..

thank you guys..

i am new apache and tomcat ..

Re: apache and tomcat

Posted by Alan Chandler <al...@chandlerfamily.org.uk>.
On Wednesday 06 July 2005 08:25, Rajasekar wrote:
> Hello guys,
>  Could you please give me the steps to making mod_jk for tomcat?
>  Regards
>  Raj

mod_jk is an apache module.  I am running apache2 and tomcat4 on linux and I
downloaded the binary module from

http://www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/tomcat-connectors/jk/binaries/

There seems to be instructions for building for several platforms from source
at

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jk2/install/apache2.html

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

Re: apache and tomcat

Posted by Rajasekar <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hello guys,

 On 7/5/05, Alan Chandler <al...@chandlerfamily.org.uk> wrote:

> ganesan malairaja writes:
>
> > hi guys ..
> >
> > i am confused now...... i need help undeerstanding apache and tomcat ..
> >
> > what purpose each serve and how to link both them ...
> >

> Apache is a web server - with lots of usage and good experience with in
> terms of security facing the internet. You can get modules for it to run
> scripting languages (for instance php), but it doesn't run java
> applications.
>
> Tomcat is primarily an engine for running web based applications in java,
> but it also has the ability to serve static html. In this latter process
> it
> does not have the security background of apache - so whilst it could be
> used
> as a web server and an application server, it is normal to separate the
> two
> (the web server may run in the dmz, the application server may run behind
> second firewall).
>
> In order to link the two, you need to set up the mod_jk module.
>

> > i want to know how to link html and applets in tomcat htdoc folder to
> > jsp codes in tomcat webapps folder ..
>

> It is possible (if the two servers are running on the same machine) to map
> the apache <location> around the tomcat <directory> via an alias statement
>
> (I think there is a mod_jk directive - something like jkautoalias that
> does
> the same thing)
>
> --
> Alan Chandler
> alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk

------------------------------
Thanks and Regards

Rajasekar V.R

Re: apache and tomcat

Posted by Alan Chandler <al...@chandlerfamily.org.uk>.
ganesan malairaja writes:

> hi guys ..
>
> i am confused now...... i need help undeerstanding apache and tomcat ..
>
> what purpose each serve and how to link both them ...

Apache is a web server - with lots of usage and good experience with in
terms of security facing the internet.  You can get modules for it to run
scripting languages (for instance php), but it doesn't run java
applications.

Tomcat is primarily an engine for running web based applications in java,
but it also has the ability to serve static html.  In this latter process it
does not have the security background of apache - so whilst it could be used
as a web server and an application server, it is normal to separate the two
(the web server may run in the dmz, the application server may run behind a