Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Elena Litani <el...@ca.ibm.com> on 2002/01/11 23:25:49 UTC

XNI: XMLDocumentHandler startEntity/endEntity

It bugs me to have in xni.XMLDocumentHandler methods that are named:
startEntity() and endEntity().
Those in fact are entity REFERENCES! I feel that it is confusing and
incorrect to call those "entities".

I propose we rename startEntity() and endEntity() to startEntityRef()
and endEntityRef().

Comments? Any good reason why we should not rename those?

--
Elena Litani / IBM Toronto

Re: XNI: XMLDocumentHandler startEntity/endEntity

Posted by "Theodore W. Leung" <tw...@sauria.com>.
Clean = makes sense from looking at the name.  At this point, there are
still more people not using XML than using XML, so compatibility with
SAX is not an overriding goal.

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Theodore W. Leung" <tw...@sauria.com>.

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Arnaud Le Hors <le...@us.ibm.com>.
Elena Litani wrote:

> It bugs me to have in xni.XMLDocumentHandler methods that are named:
> startEntity() and endEntity().
> Those in fact are entity REFERENCES! I feel that it is confusing and
> incorrect to call those "entities".
>
> I propose we rename startEntity() and endEntity() to startEntityRef()
> and endEntityRef().
>
> Comments? Any good reason why we should not rename those?

I also find it confusing. But I think there is a reason for these to be
called start/endEntity. It's because they really are called to notify
the beginning and end of the entity being referenced. From that point of
view it's not really incorrect. But it's still confusing and, for that
reason, I think I'd favor the change.
I'm not sure how Andy will feel about that though...
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - IBM, XML Standards Strategy Group / W3C AC Rep.