Posted to dev@lucenenet.apache.org by Simone Chiaretta <si...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/01 10:00:24 UTC

[Lucene.Net] Lucene.net nuget

Dears,
now, in the .NET ecosystem of opensource libraries it is super important to
have the nuget package released in sync with the binary release. Actually
many project are even just releasing the nuget package.

Currently there is a bit of confusion in the list of packages:

   - There is "Lucene" with project id "lucene"by Apache SF relased on jan
   11 frozen on version 2.9.2.2 http://nuget.org/List/Packages/Lucene
   - There is "Lucene.Net - (strong named 2.0/4.0) - 2.9.2.2" with project
   id "lucene.net" released on Sept 11 still by Apache SF on version
   2.9.2.2 http://nuget.org/List/Packages/Lucene.Net

I guess ppl think the good one is "lucene" b/c it has 3k download vs 173 of
the other (almost 300 x month vs 85 x month)

But nothing yet on 2.9.4.

I suggest we reorganize the Nuget packages doing:
1 - *delete *the "lucene" package (or add a new version with just a readme
file that clearly marks it is obsolete if not possible to remove the
project)
2 - *rename *the "lucene.net" package public title to "Lucene.net" (remove
the version number as they are not supposed to stay in the name)
3 - *create *a "lucene.net.strong" and move here the strongly signed
libraries
4 - *upgrade both* to 2.9.4

I think the script to create the nuget pkg is already in place, if not, let
me know and I'll look into making one.

As last thing, I just want to stress on the importance of having a NuGet
pkg nowadays to be relevant in the  .NET space

Simone

--
Simone Chiaretta
Microsoft MVP ASP.NET - ASPInsider

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
"Life is short, play hard"

Re: [Lucene.Net] Lucene.net nuget

Posted by Simone Chiaretta <si...@gmail.com>.
All 4 packages are have been published:
http://nuget.org/List/Search?searchTerm=author%3A%20Lucene.Net%20Community

here a blog post with the announcement and thanking the guys that gave us
their package ids
http://codeclimber.net.nz/archive/2011/12/02/Lucene-net-2-9-4-is-out-now-with-NuGet.aspx

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Simone Chiaretta <simone.chiaretta@gmail.com

Posted by Simone Chiaretta <si...@gmail.com>.
Yes, there is one:

Posted by Michael Herndon <mh...@wickedsoftware.net>.

Posted by Simone Chiaretta <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simone Chiaretta <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Prescott Nasser <ge...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Simone Chiaretta <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Herndon <mh...@wickedsoftware.net>.

Posted by Simone Chiaretta <si...@gmail.com>.
Added *pnasser* to all the nuget pkgs:

Lucene
Lucene.Contrib
Lucene.Net.All
Lucene.Net.Sample
Lucene.Net.Contrib

Any other nuget account I have to add as owner?

The dependency graph I'm doing is (shown inverted here)

   - Lucene.net (strongly named assemby from apache site)
   - Lucene (empty pkg with readme)
      - Lucene.net.contrib (lucene contrib built on my machine, unless
      there is already an official build somewhere)
         - Lucene.contrib (empty pkg with readme)
      - Lucene.net.sample (sample pkg, not sure if something already exists)

Lucene.net.all just a convenient way to get core, contrib and samples (just
empty pkg with dependencies on the 2 pkgs)

If everyone is ok with that I'll build the pkgs and publish them online.

Let me know
On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 8:45 PM, Simone Chiaretta <simone.chiaretta@gmail.com

Posted by Simone Chiaretta <si...@gmail.com>.
Mine below

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Michael Herndon <mherndon@wickedsoftware.net

Posted by Michael Herndon <mh...@wickedsoftware.net>.

Posted by Simone Chiaretta <si...@gmail.com>.
You mean a different impersonal Nuget account?
From what I've seen also used in MS pkgs devs have their in accounts but pkgs have multiple owners.

Posted by Michael Herndon <mh...@wickedsoftware.net>.

Posted by Simone Chiaretta <si...@gmail.com>.
One last thing:

Posted by Simone Chiaretta <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Prescott Nasser <ge...@hotmail.com>.
> - Lucene.Net to contain the core
> - Lucene.Contrib to contain the contrib and dep on Lucene.Net (there is
> no point in shipping contrib alone)
> - Lucene.Net.Sample to contain some samples (and a reference to
> Lucene.Net)

+1

> - Lucene: either empty with just a reference to Lucene.Net or just a
> README and description that asks to update reference to another package
>
> What do you think? Biggest problem is that Lucene is the de-facto offical
> pkg id. Is it ok to switch to the Lucene.Net brand? or do you think we
> should use keep the Lucene brand? IIUC we want to use our .NET brand
> instead of the "java" one.

I think we want to change to .Net, even if we have to blank out Lucene or put in a readme (I'd vote for blanking it out imo).

> I can grant ownership right to other people so someone else can work on it
> if I get hit by a bus.
> Prescott and Michael?

Those are probably good

Posted by Simone Chiaretta <si...@gmail.com>.
So, I created:

   - *Lucene.Net.Contrib*
   - *Lucene.Net.Sample*

Contacted the owner of *Lucene.Contrib* and *Lucene.net.* They would
hopefully grant me ownership of the 2 pkgs.
Got granted ownership to *Lucene *(which is the only package that is
actually downloaded and referenced to by other packages).

My plan would be to have these config:

Posted by Simone Chiaretta <si...@gmail.com>.

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 3:58 PM, Michael Herndon <mherndon@wickedsoftware.net

Posted by Michael Herndon <mh...@wickedsoftware.net>.

Posted by Prescott Nasser <ge...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Simone Chiaretta <si...@gmail.com>.
Mail sent... let's see what he answers.

Simone

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 10:28 AM, Simone Chiaretta <

Posted by Prescott Nasser <ge...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks!

Posted by Simone Chiaretta <si...@gmail.com>.
Sure, will contact Phil

Posted by Prescott Nasser <ge...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Simone Chiaretta <si...@gmail.com>.
The other weird thing is that if I try to contact "the owner" of the
package it says "no owner for this package"

Simo

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 10:23 AM, Simone Chiaretta <

Posted by Simone Chiaretta <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Simone Chiaretta <si...@gmail.com>.
I saw the current version is "strongly signed", that's why I added it.
Usually none releases signed versions, because users usually sign them with
their own key anyway, so if it was for me I'd skip that.

For the next release it would be great to add a step to the build script so
that the package is automatically created

Simone

Posted by Prescott Nasser <ge...@hotmail.com>.