Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by mr...@optonline.net on 2014/04/30 17:40:07 UTC

problem with PDF

I am using OpenOffice 4.0.1 on my Macbook Air with Mavericks OS.
I am unable to open a PDF file.
When I attempt to open with Open Office the ASCII Filter Option:  Western Europe (DOS/OS2-437/US) I am not presented with PDF.

Re: problem with PDF

Posted by Steve Ahlers <sa...@yahoo.com>.
Open the PDF with Preview, the built in PDF viewer.

Steve
Sent from my iPad

Re: problem with PDF

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

Re: problem with PDF

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
japples wrote:
> The question
> remains, if the disclaimer is true, why is it on a page indicating it is
> part of the Apache OpenOffice project.

The Extensions website is under control of the OpenOffice project.

But anyone can register and post an extension. So each extension is
maintained by the person who uploads it.

The fist disclaimer is related to the extension. The second is related
to the website. As Ariel is a well-known developer in the OpenOffice
project, he made it clear that the extension is maintained by him as an
individual and not as an OpenOffice developer.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: problem with PDF

Posted by japples <ja...@europa.com>.
Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Apr 2014 11:12:16 -0700
> japples <ja...@europa.com> wrote:
>

>> Rory O'Farrell wrote:

>>> OpenOffice does not normally open PDF files. To do so, and to be able to undertake a small amount of editing, one must install an extension
>>> http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/node/17351
>>>
>>> If your intention is to view the PDF file, or to do major editing, then OpenOffice may not be the correct application.
>>>

>> How nice here is an extension to help minor edits to pdf files.  When I
>> went to download it, I saw the following Disclaimers which is
>> confusing.  If someone has a moment, would they please help clarify the
>> Disclaimer wordage vs the wordage at bottom of the page . . .  Many
>> thanks in advance.
>>
>>     Disclaimers:
>>
>>         Apache, Apache OpenOffice and OpenOffice.org are trademarks of
>>     The Apache Software Foundation. Other names may be trademarks of
>>     their respective owners.
>>         This project is not affiliated with, or endorsed by, the Apache
>>     Software Foundation nor the Apache OpenOffice project in any way.
>>
>>     In fine print at the bottom of the page is:
>>
>>         Apache and the Apache feather logos are trademarks of The Apache
>>     Software Foundation. OpenOffice.org and the seagull logo are
>>     registered trademarks of The Apache Software Foundation. Other names
>>     appearing on the site may be trademarks of their respective owners.
>>     Contact us
>>

> Simple enough: The ownership of the logos and trademarks is defined (First paragraph and last paragraph). Second paragraph means there is no guarantee if the extension eats you or your computer.

It does seem simple when put that way, Rory; however, this page has
OpenOffice associated logos, a modified OpenOffice domain name, etc
indicating it is part of the OpenOffice yet the wordage is "This project
is not affiliated with, (n)or endorsed by, the Apache Software
Foundation nor the Apache OpenOffice project in any way"   The question
remains, if the disclaimer is true, why is it on a page indicating it is
part of the Apache OpenOffice project.

I am very cautious about downloading and do appreciate your help.  I
prefer to get clarification before downloading, my expertise does not
include removing unwanted stuff from my system.

Re: problem with PDF

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: problem with PDF

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
I also wonder what is the use of the embeded  hybrid PDF/A (with ODF).
So having an ODF-inserted in the PDF.
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/pdf-file-allows-editing-perfect-layout-accuracy.htm

How are these currently behaving and how to use them?

--
Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor

Re: problem with PDF