Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Craig Russell <cr...@oracle.com> on 2016/02/23 18:06:44 UTC

Help with PDF forms

Hi,

I’m trying to create a PDF form for this document: http://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant.txt

I’ve attached my attempt to make it possible for users to fill in the blanks. But the form fields don’t behave the way I want them to. I’d like the user to click in a form field and type, with the text showing up right there in place.

Instead, the text typed in shows up either a few points below or above the line, and then when tab out of the field, the text jumps and doesn’t line up.

I’m sure that there is something I’m missing about the proper use of for fields but I just don’t see it.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig

working copy of software-grant.txt

Re: Help with PDF forms

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 09:06 23/02/2016 -0800, Craig Russell wrote:
>I'm trying to create a PDF form ...
>But the form fields don't behave the way I want them to. I'd like
>the user to click in a form field and type, with the text showing up
>right there in place. Instead, the text typed in shows up either a
>few points below or above the line, and then when tab out of the
>field, the text jumps and doesn't line up. I'm sure that there is
>something I'm missing about the proper use of for fields but I just
>don't see it.

I'm no expert in this, but I think your only problem is that the form
fields are too small to contain the text properly. Put another way,
the text size - which is set by you in the document and not by the
user - is too large to fit into the fields as you currently have
them. Your main text is ten point, but you are making your users
insert twelve-point text into your fields.

o With Design Mode on, select the field.
o Right-click the field and select Control... | General.
o Scroll down to Font.
o Click the "..." button.
o Select the character format that you require - specifically size.

My experiments suggest that even if you set the field character
format to the same as your main text, the current fields will still
be too small to contain the text comfortably. I don't know whether
the precise behaviour will depend on the user's PDF reader, so I
don't know whether the fact that the document is made to work for you
guarantees that it will work for all users.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: Help with PDF forms

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 24/02/2016 Craig Russell wrote:
> The vertical alignment is really crazy. Does it depend on any of the form field settings?

Hello Craig, it seems the mailing list did not deliver your answer (I
received it because you also sent an extra copy to me).

Have you tried with the other suggestions you received in the meantime?

See http://markmail.org/message/v3rzmc742v3sw434 (Markmail archives are
broken and incomplete, but for this specific thread they are OK).

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Help with PDF forms

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> Craig Russell wrote:
>> the form fields don’t behave the way I want them to.
> your document works for me. See a screenshot of a filled-out form at
> http://home.apache.org/~pescetti/tmp/2016-02/screenshot-pdf-form.png
> (I will leave it online for a few days).

I realize I was missing some parts because this list does not allow
attachments (and only your .odt file got through, while you probably
wanted to show the PDF file).

I've now updated the screenshot above with an image from the PDF file.
It seems that text still looks OK, except for descendants like "p", "y"
and "j" where a few pixels are cut at the bottom.

Is this the same you are seeing? Could you put your attachments
somewhere if your rendering is different? Your PDF reader plays a role
here too.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Help with PDF forms

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Craig Russell wrote:
> the form fields don’t behave the way I want them to.

Hello Craig,
your document works for me. See a screenshot of a filled-out form at
http://home.apache.org/~pescetti/tmp/2016-02/screenshot-pdf-form.png
(I will leave it online for a few days).

This was done with the document you attached. Does it look OK to you or
do you still see the issue there? All fields work as expected for me and
I didn't notice any wrong alignments.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Help with PDF forms

Posted by Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net>.
> On Feb 23, 2016, at 12:06, Craig Russell <cr...@oracle.com> wrote:
>
> I’ve attached my attempt to make it possible for users to fill in the blanks. But the form fields don’t behave the way I want them to. I’d like the user to click in a form field and type, with the text showing up right there in place.
>
> Instead, the text typed in shows up either a few points below or above the line, and then when tab out of the field, the text jumps and doesn’t line up.

This is probably an issue with whatever program is being used to open the pdf and fill in the fields.

 —
jt - jt@jt-mj.net

Never memorize something that you can look up. ― Albert Einstein