Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org> on 2008/11/18 17:52:21 UTC

[Studio] Discussion about the release model

Hi Users and Dev,

Back in January 2008 we discussed in [1] about the release model of
Apache Directory Studio, whether we should have release candidates or
not. At that time we decided to introduce release candidates.

Now, almost one year later I think we should reconsider this decision.
Pierre-Arnaud and I discussed about the release model.

In 2008 we released the following versions of Studio:
1.1.0 RC1
1.1.0 RC2
1.1.0
1.2.0 RC1
1.2.0
1.3.0 RC1
1.3.0 RC2
1.3.0 (in a view days)

In the last vote about the final 1.3.0 release we discussed whether we
could just declare the 1.3.0-RC2 packages as 1.3.0 or if we need to
create new packages (with no code change, just new labels).

I think we could avoid such discussions if we switch back to the old
release model: Once we have enough new features we relaese a new x.y.0
version, Then if a major bug is reported we release a x.y.1 and x.y.2,
but only if necessary.

Pierre-Arnaud and I collected some arguments, please feel free to add
you own.

Pro RCs:
- helps to not release a really buggy final version
- better suits to common Open Source release model

Contra RCs:
- has less impact on the audience
- increases the number of release (which is time consuming)
- the feedback we've had from the RCs is very low, we've not received a
lot of jiras
- increases the number of uploads, downloads and space required on
apache and mirror servers and on the maven repository

I especially want to ask the users of Apache Directory Studio: Do you
use release candidates or do you wait for the final release? Do you
prefer to have one or two release candidates or doesn't it matter?

Thoughts?

Kind Regards,
Stefan

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@directory.apache.org/msg17991.html

Re: [Studio] Discussion about the release model

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> Hi Users and Dev,

Hi Stefan,
> <snip/>
> In the last vote about the final 1.3.0 release we discussed whether we
> could just declare the 1.3.0-RC2 packages as 1.3.0 or if we need to
> create new packages (with no code change, just new labels).
>
> I think we could avoid such discussions if we switch back to the old
> release model: Once we have enough new features we relaese a new x.y.0
> version, Then if a major bug is reported we release a x.y.1 and x.y.2,
> but only if necessary.

Seems enough to me. Studio team has proved that they were able to
release fast.
> Pierre-Arnaud and I collected some arguments, please feel free to add
> you own.
>
> Pro RCs:
> - helps to not release a really buggy final version
> - better suits to common Open Source release model
>
> Contra RCs:
> - has less impact on the audience
> - increases the number of release (which is time consuming)
> - the feedback we've had from the RCs is very low, we've not received a
> lot of jiras
> - increases the number of uploads, downloads and space required on
> apache and mirror servers and on the maven repository

Add the fact that with -RC tags, you can't keep the alphabetic order in
updates, which is painfull (ie, 1.0 will appears to be older than
1.0-RC3, for instance)

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: [Studio] Discussion about the release model

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Usually, we use milestones for new features, and RC for something
which is supposed to be OK, except that we need some user's feedback,
as testing a GUI needs human tests. So RC is the best way to get some
feedback, and fix the minor (sometime major) problems we might have.

At some point, when no bug report is produced for a RC, we onsider
that the RC (which is a release candidate, so to speak), can be the
released.

So waiting for the release is sane, but testing the RC helps too :)

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

RE: [Studio] Discussion about the release model

Posted by "Hammond, Steve" <st...@Polycom.com>.
I wait until the final release and don't get the RC's.

I am not worried about the number of RC's.  Too man RC's and it
indicates insufficient unit testing, but 1, 2 or 3 seems reasonable.

On other projects I do get RC's, but only when I need the new features
and want an early preview.  Or projects that are central to my
development world that I will be lost if the features I use do not work
in the next release, or if I think I use the product in an unusual way
that I want to be sure still works in the next release.