Posted to dev@olingo.apache.org by "Amend, Christian" <ch...@sap.com> on 2014/08/06 14:22:13 UTC

RE: Java Script library Name voting result

Hi Mark,

is there an estimated time when you could provide the summary?

Thanks & Best Regards,
Christian

Posted by Mark Stafford <ma...@microsoft.com>.
I believe per our discussion that would be okay. Our internal legal counsel did sign off on names without mention of "Olingo" but they definitely feel a lot more comfortable if "Olingo" is in the name as it puts the emphasis somewhere else. From most to least comfortable, this is how our legal sees the usage of "OData" in the release artifact names:
- Olingo JavaScript Client for OData v4: Even if were clear that Microsoft intended to enforce a trademark on the name OData, this usage would still be okay - it's like saying SAP client for Excel. Since there's no other way to say it and usage of the trademark isn't a key part of the name, we would have little to no ability to call this a trademark violation.
- Olingo OData v4 JavaScript client (or something like Olingo OData.js): Our legal counsel felt that this was even better than the name I explicitly got permission to recommend since it appears to hinge more on Olingo than OData.
- OData.js (or some variant, such as OData Client for JavaScript): Legal approved this with the contingency that we follow up with the OData TC to ensure that these are really libraries the TC would endorse.

Given that we do have approval for any of the above, my personal opinion is that Olingo ODataJS and Olingo ODataJava combines the best attributes of OData branding, Olingo branding, and making Microsoft legal happy. Other alternatives would be ODataJS and ODataJava (still good but our legal is a little less happy and we lose the Olingo brand) or OlingoJS for OData v4 or something like that.

Thanks,
Mark