Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> on 2023/05/23 15:00:10 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 18

This is our first voting candidate for the release of Apache NetBeans 18.

Please follow the NEW voting template at the bottom of this email, and
note all requirements
below for validating sources and convenience binaries before voting.

Apache NetBeans 18 constitutes all clusters in the Apache NetBeans Git
repository,
which together provide the NetBeans Platform (i.e., the underlying
application framework),
as well as all the modules that provide the Java SE, Java EE, PHP,
JavaScript and Groovy
features of Apache NetBeans.

------------------------

Build artefacts are available here :

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans/18/

They were built by the Jenkins pipeline :

https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Netbeans/job/netbeans-TLP/job/release180/18/

------------------------

We are primarily voting on :

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans/18/netbeans-18-source.zip

SHA512 :
a3b846abf6b78b501840d7b78912eddebd6dbfe7c451d71a77dadab01231ef331f1caa198af0805e70f304e98e40e72ca5811aa78999c67383105c6d31abc1f5

KEYS file : https://downloads.apache.org/netbeans/KEYS

------------------------

Associated with the primary source item we have, generated with the
pipeline mentioned above :

-- at https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans/18/

Binaries associated with the source - netbeans-18-bin.zip as well as
update content under the nbms folder.

-- at  https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans-installers/18/

An installer for macOS handcrafted using build resources on a PMC
member's macOS machine.
An installer for Windows signed by a PMC member using binaries created
during the build process.
DEB and RPM packages for Linux signed by a PMC member using binaries
created with NBPackage during the build process.

-- at https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans-vscode-ext/18.0/

The VSCode extension signed by a PMC member using binaries created
during the build process.

   ------------------------

Maven Artefacts

The Maven artefacts for Apache NetBeans 18 are ready on staging
associated to this vote.

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachenetbeans-1129/

The version is : RELEASE180

------------------------

Voting requirements

Before voting +1 you are required to download the signed source code
package, compile it as provided, and test the resulting executable on
your own platform, along with also verifying that the package meets
the requirements of the ASF policy on releases -
http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#management

In particular, you should (at least) follow these steps.

1. Download the artefact to be voted on and unzip it.
2. Check that the artefact does not contain any jar files (there are
branding folders with the name *.jar).
3. Verify the cryptographic signatures, the NOTICE and LICENSE file
4. Build it using the README provided by the artefact.
5. Look in nbbuild/netbeans for the NetBeans installation created by
the build process and try running it.

In addition to checking the sources, you may check the associated
convenience binary zip, installers, nbms and maven staging at the links
above. You are not expected to check every convenience binary.

As well as checking any artefact functions correctly, you
should check that it has been correctly signed by a PMC member, and
that the source being voted on is sufficient to build the relevant
binary.

This vote is going to be open at least 72 hours, vote with +1, 0, and
-1 as usual. (Please justify -1)

Please mark your vote as binding only if you're an Apache NetBeans
PMC member to help with voting admin.

Only respond if you are going to vote - this is NOT a discussion
thread.

Apache NetBeans 18 will be released if and when this vote passes.

-----------------------

Voting template

Please copy and paste the answer form below into your email. Fill the
checkboxes as appropriate (eg. [X]). Replace <OS>, <JDK> and <TYPE> as
appropriate.

-- Answer form ------------------------

[ ] yes / +1
[ ] no / -1 (please justify -1)
[ ] binding (member of PMC)

My vote is based on

[ ] I have built and tested the source with <JDK> on <OS> (required)
[ ] I have tested the binary zip with <JDK> on <OS>
[ ] I have tested the <TYPE> installer(s) with <JDK> on <OS>
[ ] I have tested the Maven artefacts
[ ] I have tested the VSCode extension

Additional info (optional) - any specifics on what you've tested

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 18

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@protonmail.com.INVALID>.
On 5/23/23 10:00, Neil C Smith wrote:
> -- Answer form ------------------------
>
> [X] yes / +1
> [ ] no / -1 (please justify -1)
> [X] binding (member of PMC)
>
> My vote is based on
>
> [X] I have built and tested the source with JDK 17 on Debian Linux (required)
> [X] I have tested the binary zip with <JDK> on <OS>
> [X] I have tested the Linux installer(s) with JDK 17 on Ubuntu Linux
> [ ] I have tested the Maven artefacts
> [ ] I have tested the VSCode extension
>
> Additional info (optional) - any specifics on what you've tested
Verified SHA and crypto sig for source, binary, and Linux installer.
Built source on Debian "Bookworm" Linux with JDK 17.
Tested source build and binary under Debian and JDK 17 with both
MATE/Compiz and KDE.
Tested Linux installer (using "dpkg -i") on Ubuntu 23.04 "Lunar Lobster"
with GNOME using JDK 17.

Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 18

Posted by Martin Balin <mb...@apache.org>.
[X ] yes / +1
[ ] no / -1 (please justify -1)
[ X] binding (member of PMC)

My vote is based on

[ X] I have built and tested the source with JDK11 on macOS 13.3.1 (required)
[ ] I have tested the binary zip with <JDK> on <OS>
[ X ] I have tested the macOS dmg installer(s) with JDK11 on macOS 13.3.1
[ ] I have tested the Maven artefacts
[ X] I have tested the VSCode extension

Martin

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net.INVALID>.
-- Answer form ------------------------

[X] yes / +1
[ ] no / -1 (please justify -1)
[X] binding (member of PMC)

My vote is based on

[X] I have built and tested the source with OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM
Corretto-11.0.17.8.1 (build 11.0.17+8-LTS, mixed mode) on Ubuntu 22.04.2
LTS (required)
[X] I have tested the binary zip with OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM
Corretto-11.0.17.8.1 (build 11.0.17+8-LTS, mixed mode) on Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS
[ ] I have tested the <TYPE> installer(s) with <JDK> on <OS>
[ ] I have tested the Maven artefacts
[ ] I have tested the VSCode extension

Great work, everybody!!

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 18

Posted by José Contreras <pe...@apache.org>.
[X] yes / +1

My vote is based on

[X] I have built and tested the source with openJDK-20 on Pop OS
[X] I have tested the binary zip with openJDK-21 on Pop OS

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 18

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
[X] yes / +1
[ ] no / -1 (please justify -1)
[X] binding (member of PMC)

My vote is based on

[X] I have built and tested the source with OpenJDK 11 on Ubuntu 23.04
[X] I have built and tested the source with OpenJDK 17 on Ubuntu 23.04
[X] I have tested the binary zip with OpenJDK 17 on Ubuntu 23.04
[X] I have tested the DEB installer(s) with OpenJDK 17 on Ubuntu 23.04
[X] I have tested the Snap installer(s) with OpenJDK 17 on Ubuntu 23.04

Posted by Kai Uwe Pel <ku...@webnetproject.com>.
[X] yes / +1
[ ] no / -1 (please justify -1)
[ ] binding (member of PMC)

My vote is based on

[X] I have built and tested the source with OpenJDK 17 on RedHat 9.1
[X] I have tested the binary zip with OpenJDK 17 on RedHat 9.1
[ ] I have tested the <TYPE> installer(s) with <JDK> on <OS>
[ ] I have tested the Maven artefacts
[ ] I have tested the VSCode extension

Additional info (optional) - any specifics on what you've tested

Regards,
Kai Uwe Pel

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 18

Posted by Brad Walker <bw...@musings.com>.
[  X ] yes / +1
[ ] no / -1 (please justify -1)
[ ] binding (member of PMC)

My vote is based on

[ ] I have built and tested the source with <JDK> on <OS> (required)"<OS>
[ X ] I have tested the "netbeans-18-bin.zip"  installer(s) with "openjdk
version "17.0.6" 2023-01-17" on "Fedora release 37 (Thirty Seven)"
[ ] I have tested the Maven artefacts
[ ] I have tested the VSCode extension

Additional info (optional) - any specifics on what you've tested

None.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 18

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
+1 nb

My vote is based on

[ ] I have built and tested the source with OpenJDK 11  on Fedora 38
[X] I have tested the binary zip with OpenJDK 17  on Fedora 38 / GNOME / X11
[ ] I have tested the RPM installer(s) with OpenJDK 11  on Fedora 38

Posted by ehsavoie <em...@gmail.com>.
+1 binding

Posted by Eric Barboni <Er...@irit.fr>.
[X] yes / +1
[ ] no / -1 (please justify -1)
[X] binding (member of PMC)

[X] I have built and tested the source with wsl unbuntu 20.04

Maven ok

Thanks a lot to everyone and to the PR reviewer.
Best Regards
Eric
[X] I have built and tested the source with Corretto JDK 20 on Linux Manjaro (required) [X] I have tested the binary zip with Corretto JDK 20 on Linux Manjaro (Gnome/Cinnamon, X11, 6.1.29 kernel) [X] I have tested the rpm installer(s) with RedHat JDK 17 on Fedora 38 [X] I have tested the deb installer(s) with Debian JDK 17 on Debian 11.7 [X] I have tested the Maven artefacts [ ] I have tested the VSCode extension

Additional info (optional) - any specifics on what you've tested

Used the zip distribution for a day and everything worked fine.
Only did some rudimentary testing with the maven artifacts.

thanks everyone for the contributions,

-mbien

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
[X] yes / +1

Posted by Josh Juneau <ju...@gmail.com>.
[X] yes / +1
[ ] no / -1 (please justify -1)
[X] binding (member of PMC)

My vote is based on

[X] I have built and tested the source with 17.0.2; OpenJDK 64-Bit Server
VM 17.0.2+8-LTS on Mac OS X version 12.6.5 running on x86_64; UTF-8; en_US
(nb)
[X] I have tested the binary zip with 17.0.2; OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM
17.0.2+8-LTS on Mac OS X version 12.6.5 running on x86_64; UTF-8; en_US (nb)
[ ] I have tested the <TYPE> installer(s) with <JDK> on <OS>
[ ] I have tested the Maven artefacts
[ ] I have tested the VSCode extension

Additional info (optional) - any specifics on what you've tested
- Opened an existing Jakarta EE 8 project and edited/ran successfully.
- Opened existing Jakarta EE 9.1 project and edited/ran successfully

Josh Juneau
juneau001@gmail.com
http://jj-blogger.blogspot.com
Apress Author <https://www.apress.com/us/search?query=juneau>

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu.INVALID>.
-- Answer form ------------------------

[X] yes / +1
[ ] no / -1 (please justify -1)
[X] binding (member of PMC)

My vote is based on

[X] I have built and tested the source with distribution JDK 17 on Ubuntu 23.04 (required)
[X] I have tested the binary zip with distribution JDK 17 on Ubuntu 23.04
[X] I have tested the EXE installer(s) with Amazon Corretto 17 on Windows
[X] I have tested the DEB installer(s) with distribution JDK 17 on Ubuntu 23.04
[ ] I have tested the Maven artefacts
[ ] I have tested the VSCode extension

Additional info (optional) - any specifics on what you've tested

- Loaded Java projects and Angular project
- Noticed ConcurrentModificationExceptions in Angular project
  (separate discussion), code completion still works
- On windows I had to manually override the JDK detection using
  javahome parameter in installer as Java is not installed, but
  unzipped

--------------------------------------

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
+1 from me, thanks all, closing the vote -

[X] yes / +1
[ ] no / -1 (please justify -1)
[X] binding (member of PMC)

My vote is based on

[X] I have built and tested the source with JDK 11 on Ubuntu 22.04 (required)
[X] I have tested the binary zip with JDK 20 on Ubuntu 22.04, Windows
11 and macOS 12
[X] I have tested the DEB, RPM, Windows and macOS installer(s) with
JDK 17 or 20 on Ubuntu 22.04, Fedora 36, Windows 11 and macOS 12.