Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com> on 2014/07/30 06:38:48 UTC

1.8.0 release status update

Just a quick status update on the progress of 1.8.0: 1.8.x branches
and tags have been pushed, and the binaries are available for
(pre-)testing in:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachejclouds-1019

I'll be preparing the dist and sending out the vote email tomorrow
morning EDT.

Regards

ap

Re: 1.8.0 release status update

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.
>> 1. Ensure the Maven release plugin stops prompting. This basically
>> means getting rid of ${project.parent.version}-type versions in POMs
>
> Where you able to address this at all with the maven batch mode?

To be honest, I didn't try. But I'd guess you need to answer the
questions in a different way (e.g. via a release.properties) file for
batch mode.

I hope the TODO items will allow us to *avoid* being asked questions
by Maven entirely - then we hopefully also can avoid figuring out how
to answer them for batch mode.

Posted by Everett Toews <ev...@RACKSPACE.COM>.
On Jul 30, 2014, at 2:31 PM, Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com> wrote:

> Here is the 1.8.0 release log...all glorious 81 steps of it:
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/10LkAD8Wk5Kcj38nQghTW-bQdCOXaxZad5W5Chu6HUCA/edit?usp=sharing

Wow. Thanks for documenting that. I’m sure it wasn’t easy or fun.

> Looking through it, the immediate things we need to address to make this easier, as far as I can see, are:
>
> 1. Ensure the Maven release plugin stops prompting. This basically means getting rid of ${project.parent.version}-type versions in POMs

Where you able to address this at all with the maven batch mode?

> If we can get this done, we should at least be able to run pretty much the same set of commands for each repo, with only a couple of exceptions (e.g. no bumping of dependency versions for core).

This is definitely where we need to go. Thanks again for all of your efforts on this.

Everett

Re: 1.8.0 release status update

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.
Here is the 1.8.0 release log...all glorious 81 steps of it:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10LkAD8Wk5Kcj38nQghTW-bQdCOXaxZad5W5Chu6HUCA/edit?usp=sharing

Looking through it, the immediate things we need to address to make
this easier, as far as I can see, are:

1. Ensure the Maven release plugin stops prompting. This basically
means getting rid of ${project.parent.version}-type versions in POMs

2. Use a consistent structure to allow for uniform bumping of core
versions in downstream repos. E.g. at present, jclouds.version needs
to be updated for some repos (and then in different places! Sometimes
in pom.xml, other times in project/pom.xml etc.), mvn
version:update-parent run for others etc.

3. Remove any self-dependencies caused by javadoc:aggregate in the
aggregator POM. This means either going (back) to a project POM per
repo, or to inheriting from jclouds-project as labs-openstack does.