Posted to users@felix.apache.org by "David M. Karr" <da...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/21 15:43:29 UTC

What version of the OSGi spec does Felix support?

It seems odd to me that I can't find any statement in the Felix
documentation (I haven't read it all yet) that says which version of the
OSGi specification is supported by Felix, not even in the "OSGi FAQ"
section.  Can someone say what version is supported? Is the reason I
can't find this because this is not a straightforward question?

Re: What version of the OSGi spec does Felix support?

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,

I agree that the documentation around this can be improved. However the
best way to find out is by looking at the package that you're interested
in. The package belongs to an OSGi specification and these are individually
versioned.

For example, looking at the Export-Package for the org.osgi.framework
package in the META-INF/MANIFEST.MF file (in bin/felix.jar) you'll see the
following:
  org.osgi.framework;version="1.8"

So this means that version 1.8 of that package is supported. Then find the
org.osgi.framework package in the OSGi Core Spec, and you'll see that Core
R6 has org.osgi.framework version 1.8 (in chapter 10).

So the short answer to your question for the Core Framework is, that Felix
supports R6.

However other bundles in the Felix ecosystem support different specs and
hence support different versions. You can use the above logic to find out
what they support.

Hope this helps,

David