Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com> on 2013/02/21 23:16:54 UTC

Re: [discuss] problem to access the CS IRC channel

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 02:08:28PM -0800, Fang Wang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone succeeded in using mIRC on Windows 7 to access cloudstack-dev server?
> I downloaded the mIRC, but when I tried to connect to server, on my windows, it failed all the time.
>
> Thanks,
> -Fang

Did you get any errors?  You're connecting to freenode first, right?
That's the irc network you need to connect to.

RE: [discuss] problem to access the CS IRC channel

Posted by Fang Wang <fa...@citrix.com>.
I suspect the ports got blocked by some firewall set up. I tried to look through any rules regarding the port,
But somehow it's hidden somewhere in the Windows set up. I did not figure out how to change it.

I tried several ports, they did not work.

Thanks for the ssh recommendation. I'll try it.  SSH+irssi+screen (or tmux) persistent connection should solve
The problem.

Thanks for all the recommendations!
-Fang

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

Posted by Fang Wang <fa...@citrix.com>.
I do not have flash.

IS it required to have a ":" or "+" added in front of the nickname to create a ding?  I'll try to test it.

Thanks for all the suggestions and links,
-Fang

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013, at 06:47 PM, Fang Wang wrote:
> If we can use the local client IRC to talk to the server,  then it
> will ring when there's msg for me. (at least For some client), but
> seems the webchat won't be able to ring.

Do you have flash installed?

According to the options for webchat.freenode.net, you should be able to get a ding when your nick is mentioned.

(See screenshot here:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3653308/freenode-options.png)

Best,

jzb

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

Posted by Fang Wang <fa...@citrix.com>.
Yes, I tried servers in different zones, and several ports.
I believe it's related to my machine set up by IT, somehow it blocked those ports.

We tried to set up  a new rule or something, after still failed after several attempts.

Thanks,
-Fang

Have you tried alternate servers and ports?

Here's the freenode list:  http://freenode.net/irc_servers.shtml

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.
No it doesn't

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.
Fang

Posted by Fang Wang <fa...@citrix.com>.
Thanks Chip,

Most likely the problem is with our local company firewall. It seems to block the irc ports.

-Fang

Posted by Fang Wang <fa...@citrix.com>.
Yes, I tried to connect to irc.freenode.net.
But it keeps on failing because it could not connect to the server.

I tried to use webchat client, then I could connect with my user name Fangw.

Thanks,
-Fang