Posted to dev@wookie.apache.org by Vicario Loris <Lo...@valueteam.com> on 2010/04/22 12:19:03 UTC

we are evaluating Wookie as a widget engine

Hi all,

as an IT consulting company, we are evaluating Wookie as a widget engine
for a project we have.

Before taking a decision we have a few queries we'd like to rise:

1.       Is there a roadmap that bring Wookie to become a product?

2.       Can we count on an effective and reactive support while Wookie
is in its incubator phase?

3.       Are you aware of other companies  that used Wookie in their
project? Can we have some referencies?

Best regards,

Loris

Loris Vicario

________________________________

Value Team

Via Vespri Siciliani, 9
20146 Milano
Tel.  +39 02489851
Cell. +39 3346203855
Fax  +39 0248985997
loris.vicario@valueteam.com <ma...@valueteam.com>
http://www.valueteam.com <http://www.valueteam.com/>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE -This message and its attachments (if any) may
contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information and
is intended only for the use of the addressee named above. No
notified that you must not use, disseminate, copy it in any form or take
any action in reliance on it. If you have received this message in error
please delete it and any copies of it and kindly inform the sender of
this e-mail by replying or go to www.valueteam.com
<http://www.valueteam.com/>  on 'contacts'.

Re: we are evaluating Wookie as a widget engine

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 23/04/2010 09:10, Scott Wilson wrote:

>> 2.       Can we count on an effective and reactive support while
>> Wookie is in its incubator phase?
>
> The most accurate indicator of this is to look back over the list
> archive to see how implementers have been supported to date:
>
> http://markmail.org/search/?q=list:wookie
>
> In general I'd say as a community we've been pretty quick at
> responding to questions and providing fixes and workarounds for
> issues.

However, I would say that you cannot *count* on "effective reactive
support" unless you can find someone to pay to give you that level of
support. Payment around here is through in-kind support of the project.

The golden rule of engaging with any open source project, as you
probably know, is to give back as much as you can. Any community member
who only makes demands will find that "effective reactive support" is
thin on the ground. Any community member who gives back in any way they
can (testing, docs, patches, widgets etc.) is likely to generate
significant amounts of good will and thus effective and reactive support.

Ross

Re: we are evaluating Wookie as a widget engine

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
On 22 Apr 2010, at 11:19, Vicario Loris wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> as an IT consulting company, we are evaluating Wookie as a widget engine
> for a project we have.

Great!

> Before taking a decision we have a few queries we'd like to rise:
>
> 1.       Is there a roadmap that bring Wookie to become a product?

There are two questions in here - one is to do with releases, the other with graduation.

To make a release, we need to remove any remaining GPL dependencies. These are Hibernate and its MySQL connector, and so we need to look at solutions such as OpenJPA, JDOm DataNucleus, EmpireDB etc.

To graduate, we need to have a viable community, which means enough committers from different organisations.

I don't think either of these targets is far off.

> 2.       Can we count on an effective and reactive support while Wookie
> is in its incubator phase?

The most accurate indicator of this is to look back over the list archive to see how implementers have been supported to date:

http://markmail.org/search/?q=list:wookie

In general I'd say as a community we've been pretty quick at responding to questions and providing fixes and workarounds for issues.

> 3.       Are you aware of other companies  that used Wookie in their
> project? Can we have some referencies?

I'm starting work myself on two EU projects using Wookie, and these involve SAP, T-Systems, Huawei, Grupo Gesfor, and a number of universities and smaller companies. I'll share more information on the list about these when we do our official press releases. There have also been some questions on the list from companies using Wookie in various scenarios.