Posted to dev@devicemap.apache.org by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/07 11:42:29 UTC

Can we make a "data" folder available similar to http://karaf.apache.org/manual/ ?

Hi,

Apache Karaf has an almost perfect example for how DeviceMap should make a
"data" folder available just like Karaf does with its "manual".

http://karaf.apache.org/manual/latest/
Has the same purpose as
http://devicemap-vm.apache.org/data/latest/

Reza chose the VM http://devicemap-vm.apache.org/data/ because he
either did not know better or wanted to have sole control over making
it available, but the fact alone that HTTP and FTP servers are
mirrored all over the world while the VM often breaks down and there
is no mirror of it speaks for a different solution.

Can we turn
http://devicemap-vm.apache.org/data/latest/
into
http://devicemap.apache.org/data/latest/
please?

Thanks,

Werner

Re: Can we make a "data" folder available similar to http://karaf.apache.org/manual/ ?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Werner,

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 11:13 AM, Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...If we did another release of DeviceMap data, could the same expansion of a
> signed release archive (like
> http://apache.org/dist/devicemap/devicemap-data-1.0.x.jar or
> devicemap-data-1.0.x.zip) also be done in either
> http://apache.org/dist/devicemap/data or a similar place for the same
> purpose?...

I'm not sure what you mean by this but anyway the first step in
releasing this data is as explained earlier in this thread.

-Bertrand

Re: Can we make a "data" folder available similar to http://karaf.apache.org/manual/ ?

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bertrand,

Radu's exact words

>Just a FYI: the Sling example (http://apache.org/dist/sling/eclipse/1.1.0/) you're pointing at with a not-working URL is
>actually the expansion of a *signed release archive* -
>http://apache.org/dist/sling/org.apache.sling.ide.p2update-1.1.0.zip - and
>is there for convenience.

I don't care about the number or structure of XML files in either case,
fact is, the expansion of

http://apache.org/dist/sling/org.apache.sling.ide.p2update-1.1.0.zip

into

http://apache.org/dist/sling/eclipse/1.1.0/

contains a number of XML files (as all P2 repositories do)

So does anybody see a reason why a signed release archive like

http://apache.org/dist/devicemap/devicemap-data-1.0.3.jar
<https://www.apache.org/dist/devicemap/devicemap-data-1.0.3.jar>   or
(if released) devicemap-data-1.0.4.jar (or ZIP)

could not be expanded into

http://apache.org/dist/devicemap
<https://www.apache.org/dist/devicemap/devicemap-data-1.0.3.jar>/data/1.0.3,
http://apache.org/dist/devicemap
<https://www.apache.org/dist/devicemap/devicemap-data-1.0.3.jar>/data/1.0.4

like you did for Sling?

The client software relies on this "convenience URL". Doing a last release
of data just for the sake of it would make no sense, so I want to make
sure, this can be done before considering any further release.

Werner

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Bertrand,

As Radu mentioned in his answer to another thread,
http://apache.org/dist/sling/eclipse/1.1.0/

is actually the expansion of a *signed release archive*
-http://apache.org/dist/sling/org.apache.sling.ide.p2update-1.1.0.zip
- and is there for convenience.

If we did another release of DeviceMap data, could the same expansion of a
signed release archive (like
http://apache.org/dist/devicemap/devicemap-data-1.0.x.jar or
devicemap-data-1.0.x.zip) also be done in either
http://apache.org/dist/devicemap/data or a similar place for the same
purpose?
(allowing DeviceMap clients to consume a proper W3C DDR like Eclipse users
can do with that P2 repo)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 1:42 PM, Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...Can we turn
> http://devicemap-vm.apache.org/data/latest/
> into
> http://devicemap.apache.org/data/latest/ ...

No, because that data must be published via the Apache release process
as per http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing and then
distributed at least via
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/devicemap/ and possibly
other common channels.

Once again, for this to happen you just need to create an archive of
what needs to be released, sign it and make it available so that this
PMC can vote on it - while it still exists.

-Bertrand