Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sam Joseph <ga...@yha.att.ne.jp> on 2002/06/18 06:44:40 UTC

accessing servlets from webapps like my-webapp/sub-dir/

Hi There,

[Apologies for potential repeat posting - I sent this main yesterday,
but I wasn't subscribed to the list and I can't seem to access the
latest mails in the archives.  Maybe it didn't even come through since I
wasn't subscribed ... anyways ...]

I don't suppose that there is some way I can have servlets in a webapp
respond to a request like this:

GET /my-webapp/sub-dir/servlet/MyServlet HTTP/1.0

I know that the standard is to have my-webapp/servlet, but I'm in a
tricky situation where I have to call back to a servlet from a Japanese
phone applet, that will only allow me access to locations below where it
was originally downloaded from.

Thus if it gets downloaded from my-webapp/sub-dir it can only make http
calls where the path is prefixed with this my-webapp/sub-dir/ path.

I can download things directly from my-webapp and then access
my-webapp/servlet, but I need to create many of these applets and it is
impractical to store them all in the root of the webapp.

Is there some way I can specify sub-divisions in the servlet space of
the webapp using tomcat - or somehow automatically have these requests
re-interpreted to ignore the intermediate sub-dir?

Thanks in advance

CHEERS> SAM

Re: accessing servlets from webapps like my-webapp/sub-dir/

Posted by Sam Joseph <ga...@yha.att.ne.jp>.
To answer my own mail ....

Experiments have shown me that I can achieve this result if I use a
webapp specifcation like this one:

        <Context path="/directory1/directory2"
docBase="directory1/directory2" debug="0"
                 reloadable="true" crossContext="true"/>

However, it will not work if I do not specify this and attempts to
specify things like /directory1/** have failed, which is a shame because
I really need ot be able to generate new directories automatically and
call servlets from within them.

CHEERS> SAM