Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Manfred Gruber <m....@tirol.com> on 2005/09/15 12:04:44 UTC

svn external and tags

hi !

I have a problem how to handle following problem, maybe someone has already
done this or has some information for me:

I have some repositorities which have like this structure:

FIRST REPO:
project1 	--
		trunk	--
					dir1 --
					dir2 --
					dir3 -- is a svn:external on SECOND REPO projectX on trunk/dir3
		branches	--
					some branches with the svn:external pointing to that like it is in trunk
		tags		--
project2 	--
		trunk	--
					dir4
					dir5 is a svn:external on SECOND REPO projectX on branches/dir5
		branches	--
					some branches with the svn:external pointing to that like it is in trunk
		tags		--

SECOND REPO:
projectX 	--
		trunk	--
					dir3 --> used in project1 with svn:external
					dir5
		branches	--
					dir5 --> used in project2 with svn:external
		tags		--

Now to my problem. Our strategy is that everyone how works in a trunk or
branches has to know and has to handle its svn externals on its own. I as
admin of the repos do not to take care about svn:externals.

But when now someone makes a version for a customer, he makes from a trunk or
a branche a tag. And now with a hook script should the svn:externals also be
changed to a tag in its repositorty. For example project1/trunk/* becomes
project1/tags/customer_version1/*. And now the svn:external on dir3 should
point to SECOND REPO /projectX/tags/customer_version1/dir3, and it should
also be copied from trunk/dir3 to tags/customer_version1/dir3.

Has someone done or tried something? I have found the svncopy.pl script, which
I think I should use in my hook script.

Maybe someone has already something like this running?

thanks a lot
greetings from austria
manfred