Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by PKarthick <pk...@premiertechnologygroup.com> on 2006/03/02 19:39:17 UTC

[users@httpd] How to rotate the logs in Windows XP?

Hi all,
I need to have separate log files on daily basis...for every 24 hours new log file should be created...
When I am trying to rotate the log file (access.log) in Apache using rotatelogs.exe,I could not start the apache service...I also tried using mod_log_rotate.so, i configured httpd.conf according to the instructions...but I could not get the desired result.
Where might I have went wrong?
Does anybody have solution for this?

Thanks in advance,
Karthick P
Systems Engineer
Hosting Services Group

[users@httpd] Re: How to rotate the logs in Windows XP?

Posted by Joost de Heer <sa...@xs4all.nl>.
PKarthick wrote:
> Hi all,
> I need to have separate log files on daily basis...for every 24 hours new
> log file should be created...
> When I am trying to rotate the log file (access.log) in Apache using
> rotatelogs.exe,I could not start the apache service...

What's in the event log? It should give you an explanation as to why it
wouldn't start.

And what is your exact CustomLog line?

Joost

Re: [users@httpd] How to rotate the logs in Windows XP?

Posted by Frans Knibbe <fr...@geodan.nl>.
I have noticed that rotatelogs.exe does not work if it is more than one
level away from the root of the filesystem in windows XP.

For example, this does not work:

CustomLog "|D:\programs\Apache\Apache2\bin\rotatelogs.exe
logs/access.%Y-%m-%d-%H_%M_%S.log 86400" common

But this does work:

CustomLog "|D:\bin\rotatelogs.exe  logs/access.%Y-%m-%d-%H_%M_%S.log
86400" common

I hope this helps..

Regards,

Frans Knibbe,
Geodan

Posted by allan juul <al...@muly.dk>.
PKarthick wrote:
> Hi all,
> I need to have separate log files on daily basis...for every 24 hours new log file should be created...
> When I am trying to rotate the log file (access.log) in Apache using rotatelogs.exe,I could not start the apache service...I also tried using mod_log_rotate.so, i configured httpd.conf according to the instructions...but I could not get the desired result.
> Where might I have went wrong?
> Does anybody have solution for this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Karthick P
> Systems Engineer
> Hosting Services Group

please post your log line(s) from httpd.log.
as far as i recall you have to place rotatelog.exe in the root of a
drive like c:/rotatelog.exe and also make sure the target directory exists

here is an example:
CustomLog "|D:/rotatelogs.exe \
d:/logs/apache2/http/apache.%Y-%m-%d-%H_%M_%S 86400" combined

./allan

Re: [users@httpd] port switching from web cache and http

Posted by Alexander Lazic <al...@none.at>.
On Don 02.03.2006 08:37, Charles Li wrote:
>We use Oracle Application Server, which uses HTTP.  It has a web cache
>component, which sits on top of the HTTP.  We have observe that when we
>access HTTP through the web cache, say port 7000, it sometimes goes
>back to the HTTP port, say port 7001.  How do I tell it to stay at the
>web cache port?  Thanks.

What mean the oracle-support to this issue ;-)?

Which component is connected from the client the web cache component or
the httpd?

>From which component do you get the 'redirect', if you get one.

Greetings

Alex

[users@httpd] port switching from web cache and http

Posted by Charles Li <cl...@yahoo.com>.
We use Oracle Application Server, which uses HTTP.  It has a web cache component, which sits on top of the HTTP.  We have observe that when we access HTTP through the web cache, say port 7000, it sometimes goes back to the HTTP port, say port 7001.  How do I tell it to stay at the web cache port?  Thanks.

Yahoo! Mail