Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ma...@neftochim.bg on 2009/03/13 15:44:20 UTC

tcnative-1.dll

Hi, all

How can I tell for sure that tcnative-1.dll is used by tomcat ?
System is Windows 2003 SP2, Tomcat 5.5.20, JDK 1.5.0_11, tcnative-1.dll used is 1.1.12
Tomcat is started as a service.
File tcnative-1.dll is placed in directory mentioned within
-Djava.library.path =... in registry.

If it's not in this directory there is a warning in stdout.log(which is the only one used for logging).
(....can't find... tcnative-1.dll... ), but when it's placed in the directory, there is no message about it's loading (as stated in http://tomcat.apache.org/native-doc/).

Difference in version behaviour, or...?

Best Regards,
YANKO MARKOV
LTS BULGARIA

RE: tcnative-1.dll

Posted by Jorge Medina <jm...@e-dialog.com>.
Check catalina.out (or whatever file your Tomcat is logging to).
I get the following in Unix when not using the APR, you should get a
similar message in Windows or a message indicating that the APR was
found and loaded.

INFO: The APR based Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal
performance in production environments was not found on the
java.library.path:
/opt/pdsdk/openssl/lib:/opt/pdsdk/apr/lib:/opt/pdsdk/apr-util/lib::/usr/
java/jdk1.6.0_07/jre/lib/amd64/server:/usr/java/jdk1.6.0_07/jre/lib/amd6
4:/usr/java/packages/lib/amd64:/lib:/usr/lib
Mar 12, 2009 1:42:40 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol init

-Jorge

RE: tcnative-1.dll

Posted by Ilya Kazakevich <ka...@devexperts.com>.
Check your stdout (or catalina.out), it should have something like

org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol init.

Http11AprProtocol  means you use APR,
Http11Protocol  -- no.

RE: tcnative-1.dll

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Markov.Yanko@neftochim.bg [mailto:Markov.Yanko@neftochim.bg]
> Subject: tcnative-1.dll
>
> If it's not in this directory there is a warning in
> stdout.log(which is the only one used for logging).
> (....can't find... tcnative-1.dll... ), but when it's placed
> in the directory, there is no message about it's loading (as
> stated in http://tomcat.apache.org/native-doc/).

That's characteristic of the 2.5-year old Tomcat you're running; newer ones put a positive message in the logs when APR is being used. Your lack of a negative message is the only indication you'll get on such an old level.

 - Chuck

Re: tcnative-1.dll

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <to...@list-post.mks-mail.de>.
Markov.Yanko@neftochim.bg:

> How can I tell for sure that tcnative-1.dll is used by tomcat ?
> System is Windows 2003 SP2, Tomcat 5.5.20, JDK 1.5.0_11, tcnative-1.dll used is 1.1.12
> Tomcat is started as a service.
> File tcnative-1.dll is placed in directory mentioned within
> -Djava.library.path =... in registry.
>
> If it's not in this directory there is a warning in stdout.log(which is the only one used for logging).
> (....can't find... tcnative-1.dll... ), but when it's placed in the directory, there is no message about it's loading (as stated in http://tomcat.apache.org/native-doc/).
>
> Difference in version behaviour, or...?

It was not that long ago that Chuck proved me wrong, so I could easily
remember that this question was asked recently:
http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-user&m=123326323910806&w=2

Bottom line for Tomcat 5.5: if the native lib is found, no message will
appear in the logs. Only failure to load it will be logged.
Tomcat 6.0 will print out information in either case.

Regards
  mks

RE: tcnative-1.dll

Posted by Ma...@neftochim.bg.
As you can see, Chuck, there are other characteristics (common for both versions) , too:

>> org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol init.

Thank you, Ilya.

Best Regards,
YANKO MARKOV
LTS BULGARIA