Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by fabio rohrich <ro...@yahoo.it> on 2002/11/07 17:03:45 UTC

module structure in development

Hi!
In the mod I'm developing I have to threat with the
content phase (I'll strip out blanks from html code)
and with the logging phase (to report the size of the
stripped page).
In the module structure (module blanks_module) I have
to fill the fields of handler and logger like:
blanks_logger,
blanks_handlers.

I don't understand if I have to fill the config
fields, like server config, merge server config,
create per-directory config, merge per-directory
config.

Please, can you help me. I can't really get it.

Anyway my module will be applyed to all the server
(because the module will work will all the html files
the server will send, and from all virtual sever).

Thanks,
Fabio

Mio Yahoo!: personalizza Yahoo! come piace a te
http://it.yahoo.com/mail_it/foot/?http://it.my.yahoo.com/

Re: module structure in development

Posted by fabio rohrich <ro...@yahoo.it>.
Jeff,
In the university we have Apache 1.3 working, that's
why i must write a module for apache 1.3 and not for
2.0.
Anyway, can u help me?

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@attglobal.net>.
fabio rohrich <ro...@yahoo.it> writes:

> Hi!
> In the mod I'm developing I have to threat with the
> content phase (I'll strip out blanks from html code)
> and with the logging phase (to report the size of the
> stripped page).
> In the module structure (module blanks_module) I have
> to fill the fields of handler and logger like:
> blanks_logger,
> blanks_handlers.
>
> I don't understand if I have to fill the config
> fields, like server config, merge server config,
> create per-directory config, merge per-directory
> config.
>
> Please, can you help me. I can't really get it.

Uhh, don't you want to write a module for Apache 2.0 instead of Apache
1.3?   From your description of the module structure, it sounds like
you are writing a module for Apache 1.3.

--
Jeff Trawick | trawick@attglobal.net
Born in Roswell... married an alien...

Re: module structure in development

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@attglobal.net>.
fabio rohrich <ro...@yahoo.it> writes:

> My module will work in all the server (it strips out
> blanks from html pages). So it'll work in all the
> server and in all the virtual server. I'll have 2
> directives: one is a kind of swithcer: u can turn on
> or off the mod_blan; the other gives the choice to
> delete only white spaces or to remove white spaces and
> unrequired tags too.
> So , I don't think they r config directives. What do u
> suggest?

Maybe somebody has a pointer to a description of server and directory
configs and their merging.  That is what those pointers in the module
structure are about.

For your first pass, forget about those pointers and simply use global
variables to indicate whether or not your state (on/off, whether to
remove unrequired tags, etc.).

If/when somebody wants to have different controls for different
virtual hosts or different directories, then you can worry about those
4 functions.

Posted by fabio rohrich <ro...@yahoo.it>.

-

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@attglobal.net>.