Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Ondrej Florian <of...@adobe.com> on 2013/03/27 10:10:06 UTC

running Apache Sling on the Raspberry Pi

Hi there,

I've been playing with my Raspberry Pi (http://www.raspberrypi.org) and I managed to install and run Apache Sling on it.
Although I didn't expect anything spectacular at first (I just tried it because, em... why not? :-), it is actually very usable.

This makes me think it could prove to be very useful for creating user interfaces for embedded applications
(e.g. home automation, industrial process controllers, etc.)

In case anyone is interested, this is the way you do it:

- install the Raspbian “wheezy” (the latest one with the support for hardware floating point)
- apply any updates
- get the Oracle JDK 8 for ARM from here http://jdk8.java.net/fxarmpreview/index.html
	- this will get you Java version with the hardware floating point
	'official' version of the JDK 7 support soft-fp only (it is slower and you'll need custom Raspbian to run it)

- build the latest Apache Sling (the version 6 doesn't seem to support JDK 8)
- install it and run it (hopefully)

In order to free more memory, you may want to disable various services running in the background such as NTP, DHCP client, sshd, etc.
This can get you additional 20 - 40M
If there is enough interest, I may create 'boot to Apache Sling distribution'.

Ondrej

Re: running Apache Sling on the Raspberry Pi

Posted by Ishan Thilina <is...@ishans.info>.
Cool work Ondrej!.

Rasberry pi like infrastructure might be the key to future low cost
computing devices.

If interested, see the  article[1] on how some WSO2 [2] guys ran a set of
their middleware successfully on a RPi cluster.

[1]. http://blog.afkham.org/2013/01/raspberry-pi-control-center.html
[2]. https://wso2.org

--
Thank you..!