Posted to user@spark.apache.org by unk1102 <um...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/05 19:14:52 UTC

Spark on Apache Ingnite?

Hi has anybody tried and had success with Spark on Apache Ignite seems
promising? https://ignite.apache.org/

Re: Spark on Apache Ingnite?

Posted by Ravi Kora <ra...@airisdata.com>.
We have been using ignite on spark for one of our use cases. We are using Ignite’s SharedRDD feature. Following links should get you started in that direction. We have been using for the basic use case and works fine so far. There is not a whole lot of documentation on spark-ignite integration though. Some pain points that we observed are that it gives serialization errors when used on non-basic data types(UDTs etc.)

https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/shared-rdd
https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/testing-integration-with-spark-shell

-Ravi

From: Umesh Kacha <um...@gmail.com>>
Date: Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at 11:47 PM
To: "nate@reactor8.com<ma...@reactor8.com>" <na...@reactor8.com>>
Cc: "user@spark.apache.org<ma...@spark.apache.org>" <us...@spark.apache.org>>
Subject: RE: Spark on Apache Ingnite?

Hi  Nate thanks much. I have exact same use cases mentioned by you. My spark job does heavy writing involving  group by and huge data shuffling. Can you please provide any pointer how can I run my existing spark job which is running on yarn to make it run on ignite? Please guide. Thanks again.

On Jan 6, 2016 02:28, <na...@reactor8.com>> wrote:
We started playing with Ignite back Hadoop, hive and spark services, and
looking to move to it as our default for deployment going forward, still
early but so far its been pretty nice and excited for the flexibility it
will provide for our particular use cases.

Would say in general its worth looking into if your data workloads are:

a) mix of read/write, or heavy write at times
b) want write/read access to data from services/apps outside of your spark
workloads (old Hadoop jobs, custom apps, etc)
c) have strings of spark jobs that could benefit from caching your data
across them (think similar usage to tachyon)
d) you have sparksql queries that could benefit from indexing and mutability
(see pt (a) about mix read/write)

If your data is read exclusive and very batch oriented, and your workloads
are strictly spark based, benefits will be less and ignite would probably
act as more of a tachyon replacement as many of the other features outside
of RDD caching wont be leveraged.

RE: Spark on Apache Ingnite?

Posted by Umesh Kacha <um...@gmail.com>.

Posted by na...@reactor8.com.

RE: Spark on Apache Ingnite?

Posted by "Boavida, Rodrigo" <Ro...@Aspect.com>.
I also had a quick look and agree it’s not very clear. I believe if one reads through the clustering logic and the replication settings would get a good idea of how it works.
https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/cluster
I believe it integrates with Hadoop and other file based systems for persisting when needed. Not sure about the details on how does it recover.
Also  resource manager such as Mesos can add recoverability for at least scenarios where there isn’t any state to recover.

Resilience is a feature and not every use case needs it. For example, I’m currently considering Ignite for caching purposes of transient data where we have the need to share RDDs between different Spark Contexts where one context produces data and the other consumes

Posted by Koert Kuipers <ko...@tresata.com>.

Re: Spark on Apache Ingnite?