Posted to p-dev@xerces.apache.org by "Parand T. Darugar" <td...@velocigen.com> on 2000/07/19 22:15:38 UTC

Brining the project back from dead

Hello,

  Seems Xerces-Perl has once again faded into the great
beyond. Let's try to revive this.

  Could people who are developing or have developed code
or otherwise worked on this project please step forward
and let us know where things are?

  Is it the case that the originial developers do not have
the bandwidth for continued work on this project? If so,
let's see if we can grow another group. If the original
developers are still available, let's get a bit more organized
and see if we can move things forward.

Best,

Parand Tony Darugar			tdarugar@velocigen.com
858-622-1164				High Performance Perl Server Pages
858-622-0303 fax			VelociGen XML Server
http://www.velocigen.com/		Confidential

Re: Brining the project back from dead

Posted by Mike Pogue <mp...@apache.org>.
You all might want to contact Tom Watson at Portal, who did the original work, to see if
he has some time to help get the code/docs at least available for others to work on...

Mike

Posted by "Parand T. Darugar" <td...@velocigen.com>.
Dear Serge,

Posted by Serge Baccou <sb...@sxb.bsf.alcatel.fr>.
I'm pleased to see that someone is wondering if Xerces-Perl is still alive.
If a new group is set up, I would be glad to join it.

Actually, I worked hard to use Xerces-Perl on Linux and now I'm using it with
success. I still have troubles with the perl debugger and some warnings are
still here when my perl script have -w option. Those problemes may be due to
SWIG.

I think we should work on the following points:
- Set up of a new group for Xerces-Perl
- State of the art of Xerces-Perl development
- Single place of downloading with update version of Xerces-Perl for Windows
and Linux
- Xerces-Perl on Linux (perhaps we can create a sub-group for this topic)
- Definition of next steps for Xerces-Perl
- Documentation, communication (update of the Xerces-Perl web site).

Serge Baccou
Sea Informatique for Alcatel
sbac@sxb.bsf.alcatel.fr
Tel. : (+33) 03 90 67 68 17

---

Posted by Sander van Zoest <sa...@covalent.net>.
Why don't we just send the PATCH to the list and have someone with
commit access approve the patch and put it in CVS? That seems like
the normal way to handle this.

Sander van Zoest, Covalent Technologies, Inc., sander@covalent.net, FreeBSD port

--
Sander van Zoest                                         [sander@covalent.net]
Covalent Technologies, Inc. 				 http://www.covalent.net

Re: Brining the project back from dead

Posted by "Parand T. Darugar" <td...@velocigen.com>.
Dear Serge,

> I can write the beginning of checklist and gather information, binaries and
> code needed to make a Linux distribution of Xerces-Perl. But first, where can
> I put this package ? Can we have a sort some pages on a web site to put links
> on documentation and on this package ?

  I can get some space for a web site and packages, and handle the
mailing list. Of course there is the official xml.apache.org site we
can use also. Here is a url for an old repository of stuff:

http://www.velocigen.com/~tdarugar/xerces-p/

Posted by Serge Baccou <sb...@sxb.bsf.alcatel.fr>.
Hi,

I can write the beginning of checklist and gather information, binaries and
code needed to make a Linux distribution of Xerces-Perl. But first, where can
I put this package ? Can we have a sort some pages on a web site to put links
on documentation and on this package ?

I also think that we should identify people wo want to collaborate to this
new born of Xerces-Perl project with a beginning of responsabilities sharing.
Can we try to have a list of people who want to be part of the Xerces-Perl
group  with their email address ?

Perhaps, you can complete the following list:

Name                           Organisation
e-mail                                        Interest
Serge Baccou            Sea Informatique     sbac@sxb.bsf.alcatel.fr
Linux Distribution of Xerces-Perl

Serge.

Posted by Sander van Zoest <sa...@covalent.net>.
On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Parand T. Darugar wrote:

>   What would it take to get a linux compilable version
> available? Several people have reported they're using the
> package on linux. Could you post instructions, provide
> code, etc, so the rest of us can join the party?

I would be interested in getting a FreeBSD port going, I already
spend some time to get some of it in a better shape. I am
currently not working on this for my current project, but I
can see it become more important in the future.

It really requires some trivial casing adjustments and things
like that to get it further along. Granted this also requires
some work on the Xerces-C tree to port that to FreeBSD as well.
I will try to find the time to get that going.

>   Meanwhile, we can get the team setup for future growth.
> Right now it's hard to recruit actual users of the product
> for development, since the user base is so small. I believe
> a base version for linux could change this.

I think this could be changed by making it easier to port to
a different OS. If we could provide porting instructions and
then have that contributed back, it would allow for a lot of
other people to join the group in the long run.