Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Li Li <fa...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/05 05:27:55 UTC

full text searching in cloud for minor enterprises

hi all,
    I want to provide full text searching for some "small" websites.
It seems cloud computing is  popular now. And it will save costs
because it don't need employ engineer to maintain
the machine.
    For now, there are many services such as amazon s3, google app
engine, ms azure etc. I am not familiar with cloud computing. Anyone
give me a direction or some advice? thanks

Re: full text searching in cloud for minor enterprises

Posted by Sanne Grinovero <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hello,
We can try giving you some directions if you could explain some more
details of what you need.
First thing, cloud providers are rather different: most allow you to
fully control the hosts assigned to you (root access) such as Amazon
and Openshift, while others like the google app engine impose some
restrictions on what your application can do (for example Java
applications on GAE aren't allowed to start threads or open sockets).

If your applications expect a REST interface, you could deploy Solr or
other similar engines such as ElasticSearch: these provide helpers to
distribute/replicate the index to multiple nodes and how to query them
properly.
If you need to embed Lucene in your application directly, then you
could look at the Infinispan Lucene Directory[1] - pardon for the plug
as I maintain it - this allows to use the standard Lucene APIs just
changing the way in which you store the index: instead of using a
filesystem it's stored in a distributed datagrid[*2] which makes it
easier to add/remove more nodes on the fly from your cluster.

Regards,
Sanne

[1] - https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/ISPN/Infinispan+as+a+Directory+for+Lucene
[2] - I'm personally focusing on Infinispan, but it was ported to
Voldemort too and should be easy to port to any grid. I don't know
much about Voldemort but in case of Infinispan it supports several
cloud friendly auto-discovery protocols and the capability to
write-through to a permanent backup via JClouds, to long term store
and backup on cloud persistence services such as Amazon's S3.

Posted by Li Li <fa...@gmail.com>.
  sounds great.

Posted by Joe Scanlon <js...@element115.net>.
Look at searchblox