Posted to dev@diversity.apache.org by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org> on 2019/07/01 08:12:56 UTC

[DISCUSS] Notify the board that D&I intends to coordinate an Outreachy intern program

Hey all,

We've already discussed the finer points and alternatives here.  But we
need a concrete proposal.  And because we are talking about pre-selecting
proposals and interacting with other projects, I want us to give the board
a heads up.  I'd like to suggest that we provide the notification below to
the board.

As always, patches welcome.  But warning: I'll *scream* if anyone mentions
'core tenant' or 'first principle' one more time. (Here's my scream for my
own mention: AAAAH! ; o)

Best Regards,
Myrle  Krantz
D&I n00b

-----------------
Subject: [NOTICE] D&I intends to coordinate an Outreachy intern program.

Background: D&I has been approached by a potential sponsor who wishes to
support the participation of Outreachy in ASF projects by donating directly
to Outreachy.  D&I wishes to perform UX research on the experience of
members of underrepresented groups as they get started with our
communities.  This offer provides us with an excellent opportunity to do so.

Currently offered funding levels are enough to cover 3 interns.  D&I plans
to accept this offer, and provide the following support:

* Advertise this opportunity to projects and seek proposals.
* Manage the project submission process to Outreachy, including filtering
out unsuitable project proposals, and, if necessary, making a final
selection of intern-project pairs.
* Ask interns for feedback on their experiences at various times throughout
the internship.
* Provide appropriate and useful feedback to the Foundation and to the
projects about opportunities to improve how welcoming we are, and what we
can improve on.
* Use this as an opportunity to increase awareness and acceptance of the
ASF in communities which we are currently not reaching as well as we would
like.

If D&I finds funding for more than 3 interns, we intend to accept it, but
we plan to keep the initial rounds of this project relatively small for
learning purposes.

-----------------
The road ahead on this proposal is as follows (** indicates where we are
now):
 * Start a [DISCUSS] thread.
** Allow the discussion to run as long as *new* points are being made.
 * Start a [VOTE] thread to run for 72 hours.
 * Submit a [NOTICE] to the board.
 * Wait 72 hours for potential board objections.
 * Get to work.

Re: [DISCUSS] Notify the board that D&I intends to coordinate an Outreachy intern program

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
My goal was to avoid long discussions by updating the text.

Myrle has accepted the update so I am happy.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@apache.org>.

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
Apologies.  I mis-credited the originator of the measuring idea.  Thank you
*Roman* for your excellent question.

: o),
Myrle

Posted by Naomi S <no...@tumbolia.org>.
On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 at 18:18, Kevin A. McGrail <km...@apache.org> wrote:

> > Gris' statement is accurate and correct, based on the reports I see from
> > other committees.
> I've seen no statement from Gris.  I believe you have read the thread
> incorrectly.
> >
> >> While it is a notice to the board, it's also a roadmap for the committee
> >> to follow.
> > And roadmaps evolve over time. Give this one some more, please.
>
> I have not in anyway suggested there is urgency.    Is there urgency
> that the board must be notified in July that I'm not aware of?
>

> >> I am -1 on notifying them with such vague terms.  If you prefer, once
> >> you commit it to the board agenda, I can instead email board@ and
> >> request that such vagueness should be clarified.
> > That would be completely out of line, Kevin. Gris is the chair of this
> > committee and has the authority to submit the report she sees fit.
>
> We are looking at a fiduciary issue.  The board and our membership
> deserve a non-vague description of how we we will spend and measure the
> success of that endeavor.  Also setting a roadmap and expectations for
> that to be done will help people know what is needed to be done.
>
> I was suggesting the board recommend what they see as non-vague terms so
> the resolution will be accepted.

I believe you are confused. this is not a board resolution. nor is it a
request to spend ASF money. it is a notice to the board about our plans to
coordinate with Outreachy (who have been funded by a third-party sponsor)

Re: [DISCUSS] Notify the board that D&I intends to coordinate an Outreachy intern program

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
> Gris' statement is accurate and correct, based on the reports I see from
> other committees.
I've seen no statement from Gris.  I believe you have read the thread
incorrectly.

>> While it is a notice to the board, it's also a roadmap for the committee
>> to follow.
> And roadmaps evolve over time. Give this one some more, please.

I have not in anyway suggested there is urgency.    Is there urgency
that the board must be notified in July that I'm not aware of?

>> I am -1 on notifying them with such vague terms.  If you prefer, once
>> you commit it to the board agenda, I can instead email board@ and
>> request that such vagueness should be clarified.
> That would be completely out of line, Kevin. Gris is the chair of this
> committee and has the authority to submit the report she sees fit.

Of course she Gris has that authority.  However, as I wrote above this
isn't a statement from Gris and secondly I'm entitled to my opinion.
Whether my vote of -1 is binding is TBD for the committee and how it
functions which I have zero issues if Gris is a BD.  It is, however,
still my opinion.

We are looking at a fiduciary issue.  The board and our membership
deserve a non-vague description of how we we will spend and measure the
success of that endeavor.  Also setting a roadmap and expectations for
that to be done will help people know what is needed to be done.

I was suggesting the board recommend what they see as non-vague terms so
the resolution will be accepted.

> If you insist on emailing board@, I can't stop you, but your email will
> go ignored by this Director.

I do not insist on anything.  I asked another director her preference if
you read my note.

> Please no. We've already had complaints about Google tooling being
> exclusionary on this list (or, it might have been discuss@).
>
> We already have a plethora of ASF-provided tools, and we should work
> with what we've got today: Jira, Confluence, or even a git repository.

I am referring to the ASF google infrastructure: gsuite.cloud.apache.org
that is doing great work for a number of endeavors

I have no strong opinion but if you want me to do work, I need tools
that are efficient and compatible with accessibility tools for
low-vision.  That's not Jira and Confluence but I'm happy to put my work
in sheets and others can groom into other locations as the committee
deems fit.

Regards,

KAM

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
On 7/5/2019 12:03 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:
> Kevin, I encourage you to reconsider your -1 and to work on the specifics
> in parallel.

This is a dialog to refine a deliverable.  I am always in a state of
reconsidering.

There are a three places with vague terms which I pointed out before
[1].  Here are some specific solutions that I think are tenable ways to
work on it:

#1: how specifically will you advertise this is a big question.  Rich and Bertrand, you have both pointed out the difficulties the iot list will have with this exact issue. Do you have recommendations for this?  I fear the committee is overestimating things and that "build it and they will come" will be a failure as it has historically been with the ASF.  We want success so blog posts, email to members, approval of a pmcs@ email should all be considered.

#2: I recommend a google form with a google sheet back end is used no less than 3 times at the end of first month, end of second month and end of the program to survey the interns and record their answers.

#3: This entire phrase is unclear and vague.  Surveying who for what purpose?

Regards,
KAM

[1]

#2: What tool will we use for the feedback? Email? Surveys?  Please specify the number of times and the frequency or a minimum such as no less than 3x's during the program.

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
<with my Board of Directors hat on>

On 2019-07-05 11:18, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

>> Remember this is a notification to the board.  The level of specificity you
>> are proposing I add goes well beyond what the board requires from other
>> areas; even for budget requests.  I will not hold up this item until that
>> level of detail is available.

Gris' statement is accurate and correct, based on the reports I see from
other committees.

> While it is a notice to the board, it's also a roadmap for the committee
> to follow.

And roadmaps evolve over time. Give this one some more, please.

> I am -1 on notifying them with such vague terms.  If you prefer, once
> you commit it to the board agenda, I can instead email board@ and
> request that such vagueness should be clarified.

That would be completely out of line, Kevin. Gris is the chair of this
committee and has the authority to submit the report she sees fit.

The board is looking for direction and intent at this time, with the
faith that the precise details you're asking for will be filled in
later, shephered by Gris and the full committee. Any specific questions
can be provided as feedback by the board through Whimsy, or emails to
this list.

On that note: the board is watching this committee very, very closely.
Do not think for one second that any of the nine of us are unaware of
what's going on.

Posted by Naomi S <no...@tumbolia.org>.
On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 at 17:18, Kevin A. McGrail <km...@apache.org> wrote:

> > Remember this is a notification to the board.  The level of specificity
> you
> > are proposing I add goes well beyond what the board requires from other
> > areas; even for budget requests.  I will not hold up this item until that
> > level of detail is available.
>
> While it is a notice to the board, it's also a roadmap for the committee
> to follow.

that is incorrect. please drop this now

Re: [DISCUSS] Notify the board that D&I intends to coordinate an Outreachy intern program

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
I'm +1 on the notification as it currently stands.

I'm strongly -1 on delaying it further. While I agree that specifics are
valuable, those can be developed in parallel and don't affect the
confirmation I need to proceed with the IBM sponsorship of Outreachy this
go around.

Posted by Naomi S <no...@tumbolia.org>.
+1

Posted by Austin Bennett <wh...@gmail.com>.
+1 (I thought we had already determined to move in this direction once
funding was routed separately from ASF -- still learning Apache processes).

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.

Posted by Griselda Cuevas <gr...@google.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
Hey D&I peeps,

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

Posted by Griselda Cuevas <gr...@google.com.INVALID>.
Hi folks, just a note to let you know I have input for metrics and
operation, I am still reading all the thread and parsing comments.

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
Hey Kevin,

Posted by Sage Sharp <sh...@otter.technology>.
On Fri, Jul 5, 2019 at 11:10 AM Griselda Cuevas <gr...@google.com.invalid>
wrote:

> You asked if there is urgency on getting this to the board in July, the
> answer is yes.
> Outreachy's next round of internships kicks off in September, and I'd like
> to have plenty of time to work on ironing out execution details.

The deadline for new community sign up will be September 3. The deadline
for project submissions will be September 24. We recommend projects have
mentors in place before September 9, when we'll have an #OutreachyChat on
Twitter with alums and mentors. That chat gets people excited about the
internship projects, and encourages applicants to fill out an initial
application.

Sage Sharp
Outreachy Organizer

Re: [DISCUSS] Notify the board that D&I intends to coordinate an Outreachy intern program

Posted by Griselda Cuevas <gr...@google.com.INVALID>.
Forgot to add a link to the list I suggested:

[1]

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en-gb#!forum/diversity--inclusion-in-open-source

Posted by Griselda Cuevas <gr...@google.com.INVALID>.
Hi Folks,

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by Awasum Yannick <aw...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jul 5, 2019 at 5:02 PM Kevin A. McGrail <km...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 7/5/2019 11:32 AM, Rich Bowen wrote:
> > On 2019/07/05 11:07:41, "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >> #3: Define regular intervals, please.  It's far too vague.
> >> * In a seperate effort we will be working on and administering a survey
> at
> >> regular intervals.
> > I'm curious why any level of specificity is required on this, or other
> points? This is a volunteer effort, not a paid position. As such, vagueness
> on schedule is a feature, not a bug. As with any of our other volunteer
> efforts, the schedule is "when we get around to it."
>
> I don't view this as a 100% volunteer issue.  This is like the spending
> of 19.5K and there have been discussions of requesting a match.  So with
> potentially ~$40k going out the door, some measurement of the results is
> required.

This money comes from an external donor not the ASF.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

#2: What tool will we use for the feedback? Email? Surveys?  Please specify the number of times and the frequency or a minimum such as no less than 3x's during the program.

#3: Define regular intervals, please.  It's far too vague.

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.

Posted by Naomi S <no...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 2:54 AM Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hey Ross,
>
> You've asked a very important question.  Let me take it on, a little bit in
> the style of a balanced score-card.  To measure impact, we first have to be
> in agreement about which impact we want to achieve.

+1000!

>  Going all the way back to first principles to justify this:
>
> What is the mission of the foundation? "To produce open source software for
> the public good."
> What is the mission of D&I? "To welcome people from diverse backgrounds,
> and bring them into the process of producing open source software for the
> public good."
> What is the purpose of this initiative?
>  * "To explicitly express our welcome to people from diverse backgrounds
> via an organization that has good relationships in these communities."
> (Welcoming)
>  * "To better understand the obstacles and bright spots in our communities,
> and to document and share that information." (Understanding)
>
> So how do we measure impact for these two items?
> * For Welcoming, we'll find it difficult to narrow down cause and effect
> (as is always the case in marketing efforts).  But we can still measure
> trends.  To do this we will be working on and administering a survey at
> regular intervals.  But that is a separate effort with its own, already
> approved budget.  While formulating that survey, we should keep in mind how
> our goals connect to the mission of our Foundation.

Great!

> * For Understanding, we will be producing documentation.  One measure is:
> "does the documentation exist, was it read by the projects, and were they
> able to derive value from it?"  We can also ask that projects give us
> feedback about whether or not they found the process helpful.  This
> information will help us when it comes time to decide if we want to go more
> rounds with Outreachy in the future.

Makes perfect sense.

For both of the above -- personally I'd love for at least a sentence or two
to be included in the draft.

Now, one more question I have is this: the above aims at measuring the program
itself. Is there any way we can also commit to measuring the effectiveness of
Outreachy itself?

To be clear, I have nothing against Outreachy -- I just want to make sure we
don't simply "delegate" D&I to them, but rather view them as (perhaps the best)
one of the group that we may need to actively evaluate. E.g.:
    https://blog.capterra.com/diversity-in-tech-11-associations-and-organizations-for-it-professionals-of-color/

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
Hey Ross,

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Naomi S <no...@tumbolia.org>.
+1 on the draft. thanks, Myrle!!

Re: Polling members (Was: Re: [DISCUSS] Notify the board that D&I intends to coordinate an Outreachy intern program)

Posted by Naomi S <no...@tumbolia.org>.
apologies for the follow-up email. I pressed send too early

Kevin said:

"Sorry but I am -1000.  This is a very bad idea."

that to me is the antithesis of "yes, and..."

I was trying to pull the idea back by putting it into context and setting
some things straight

so, in context, even more strange, that I'm the one you pick on (with words
like "very aggressive", to boot!)

Posted by Naomi S <no...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Naomi S <no...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
On 7/3/2019 8:26 AM, Naomi S wrote:
> splitting this off to keep Myrle's thread on topic
+1 way too much thread hijacking.  Please follow Naomi's example and
fork the threads.
> On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 at 13:49, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>
>> We have the technology (via STeVe) to have a non-binding poll the
>> membership.  We will have an election coming up in March-ish 2020.
>> The decision to fund interns from ASF funds is a binary one.
>>
>> My sense is that the board has been asked to make a difficult
>> decision, and is not ready yet to do so.  We however have a path
>> forward that will give us more data, and we can put in place a plan to
>> poll the membership for guidance on the matter.  We can ask those that
>> wish to do so to prepare a position paper (one each, pro and con) that
>> can guide the membership in casting their votes.
>>
> this sounds like a good idea to me
>
> I wouldn't' necessarily set March as the deadline. as a committee, we might
> not feel ready to make that move at that point. depends what our experience
> is like with Outreachy and what sorts of results we can show
>
> but in general, this seems like a reasonable way forward, should the
> committee decide that we want to pursue this avenue once again with a bit
> more experience under our belt

Sorry but I am -1000.  This is a very bad idea.  Off the cuff, here are
some of my negatives:

- It sets up the precedence that every hard decision will wait a year
for a member referendum

- It insults the sitting board that they can't make a tough decision.

- It infers the need to circumvent a possible negative board decisions
and instead go to the members to "overrule" them either retro- or
proactively.

- In the lawyer world there is a quote, never ask a question you don't
know the answer to.  This is a massive gamble.

- I predict this particular topic of effectively paying for code will
create partisan divisions with our members who are likely to vehemently
disagree/agree

But that said, I agree this would be a great question to add to the
voluntary board candidate questionnaire for next year.

Regards,

KAM

Posted by Andrew Musselman <ak...@apache.org>.
To everyone:

Do y'all just wake up and decide "I'm going to spend my free time today
bickering on a public mailing list?"

Does this feel like an inclusive list with these kinds of interaction?

Posted by Naomi S <no...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@apache.org>.
Personally, I think that this is way out of D&I's bally-wick. Why is this a D&I issue? What is this obsession on this policy which affects D&I not-a-whit yet directly impacts every project PMC and this foundation to the core? What do some members of the cmmt feel the need to focus on this singular issue in exclusion to everything else?

I am sorry you don't like this policy... but some policies exist, and should exist, whether you like them or not. I really wish that some people on this cmmt would focus on the mission and charter of this effort. This cmmt should work on directly helping those that this cmmt is empowered to help, instead of using this cmmt to try to change a policy that bothers them personally (I also wonder *WHY* it bothers them personally).

Why some people have chosen this to be a hill to stake this cmmt's energies and reputation on is beyond me. In a cmmt which is all about Inclusion, this clear desire to create venomous division within the membership, and even this cmmt, is mind boggling. What is the fascination w/ this scorched Earth process? Is this really how this cmmt intends to handle the delicate business of changing hearts and minds? If so, I suggest that they rethink it.

PS: Also recall that it is up to the BOARD on whether or not to bring such a change up for consideration by the members. Of course, you are perfectly w/i your rights as a member to petition that.

Posted by Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com.INVALID>.
+1

---

Sent from my phone, likely while waking down the stars and having a conversation. Sorry about my carelessness, I blame the machines.

________________________________
Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sage Sharp <sh...@otter.technology>.

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Posted by Naomi S <no...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 7:05 AM Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 01, 2019 at 06:41:13PM +0000, Ross Gardler wrote:
> > Thanks for the additional background Sam. With respect to "There are
> > some people with concerns that haven't been expressed on this list.
> > Some of those concerns may lead to the conclusion that having sponsors
> > acting independently of ASF wishes, however well meaning they are in
> > doing so, may lead to problematic results." - all I can say if "if it
> > didn't happen on the list, it didn't happen".
>
> Not all interested parties are subscribed to this list. Those with
> concerns may be waiting for proposals to be brought before the Board,
> rather than getting involved with the sausage-making, here.
>
> There is a lot of grey area. "If you care, subscribe" "It has been
> delegated, so don't wait for a proposal, go to the source" "It is a
> [NOTICE] of action, not an [RFC] so feedback from outside is not on
> the menu"

I believe the intent is to seek lazy consensus instead of approval.
I'll also note that this notice isn't asking the board for anything,
but is being prepared in public view, will be shared with the board,
and an opportunity to provide feedback will be provided before action
is taken.

I support the idea of such notices as a path forward. It strikes the
right balance between oversight and JFDI.  And does so without forcing
the board to take a vote.

> There are clearly sensitivities. I believe Sam has the right of it:
> approach cautiously, while listening. Personally, I disagree with the
> concept of "must be subscribed and involved", since we've always said
> Members can observe and participate at their discretion.
>
> Personally, I have no disagreement with Myrle's proposal. My comment
> here is on approach: whether it will be a fait d'acompli [NOTICE] to
> board@ ... or whether other groups may have constructive feedback
> (eg. members@ or somesuch; dunno). Not sure on the inclusion.

Would this following help?

We have the technology (via STeVe) to have a non-binding poll the
membership.  We will have an election coming up in March-ish 2020.
The decision to fund interns from ASF funds is a binary one.

My sense is that the board has been asked to make a difficult
decision, and is not ready yet to do so.  We however have a path
forward that will give us more data, and we can put in place a plan to
poll the membership for guidance on the matter.  We can ask those that
wish to do so to prepare a position paper (one each, pro and con) that
can guide the membership in casting their votes.

> Cheers,
> -g

- Sam Ruby

Re: [DISCUSS] Notify the board that D&I intends to coordinate an Outreachy intern program

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com.INVALID>.
Thanks for the additional background Sam. With respect to "There are some people with concerns that haven't been expressed on this list.  Some of those concerns may lead to the conclusion that having sponsors acting independently of ASF wishes, however well meaning they are in doing so, may lead to problematic results." - all I can say if "if it didn't happen on the list, it didn't happen".

Should that concern be raised here then I'll be happy to consider it in the context of this proposed board notification. In the absence of such an on-list object I appreciate your willingness to accept an explicit lazy consensus as is the Apache Way.

Ross

Re: [DISCUSS] Notify the board that D&I intends to coordinate an Outreachy intern program

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
Speaking as the sponsor in question, I don't need the parts of the
proposal that Ross is concerned about, but let me explain the
background which led Myrle to insert that text.

What I seek to avoid is the ASF opposing this sponsorship after the
check has been sent to Outreachy.

There are some people with concerns that haven't been expressed on
this list.  Some of those concerns may lead to the conclusion that
having sponsors acting independently of ASF wishes, however well
meaning they are in doing so, may lead to problematic results.

All I am seeking is some sort of confirmation that the ASF is aware of
the intent to donate and that there is consensus that it will make an
effort to seek projects and mentors.  Lazy consensus is sufficient for
my purposes.

- Sam Ruby

On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 12:40 PM Ross Gardler

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 10:32 AM Awasum Yannick <aw...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Myrle,
>
> Overall +1 on the draft.

Thanks!

> On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 9:13 AM Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org> wrote:
>  -----------------
> > Subject: [NOTICE] D&I intends to coordinate an Outreachy intern program.
> >
> > Background: D&I has been approached by a potential sponsor who wishes to
> > support the participation of Outreachy in ASF projects by donating
> directly
> > to Outreachy.  D&I wishes to perform UX research on the experience of
> > members of underrepresented groups as they get started with our
> > communities.  This offer provides us with an excellent opportunity to do
> > so.
> >
> > Ohh, Please, permit me make a small point and clear a doubt:
>
> My understanding is that the ASF already approved funds for UX research to
> understand problems faced by under represented people in contributing to
> Apache projects. Maybe I missed something.
>
> Is participating in Outreachy also part of this UX research? Or is it
> something different from research. I wonder if putting it like this will
> make the board ask "did we not already allocate money for that?" and "did
> D&I need more money for UX research?".

The board has approved funds for UX research.  This will be on-top, and
won't go through the ASF.  Our UX research efforts will leverage this
initiative, but we'll still need someone formulating and conducting the
interviews, etc...

Best,
Myrle

Re: [DISCUSS] Notify the board that D&I intends to coordinate an Outreachy intern program

Posted by Awasum Yannick <aw...@apache.org>.
Hi Myrle,

Overall +1 on the draft.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
Looks good to me Myrle!

Niall

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
+1 on everything except the monies and sponsors mention.  That's
Fundraising's bailiwick.   I would strike "If D&I finds funding for more
than 3 interns, we intend to accept it, but we plan to keep the initial
rounds of this project relatively small for learning purposes."

If you really want to mention it, I would change it to D&I will ask
Fundraising to find sponsorship for up to 3 more interns.

I would also add concrete terms if you can.  This is expected to happen
in "specific month".  Will report monthly. etc.

Posted by Swapnil M Mane <sw...@apache.org>.