Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Daniel Farinha <da...@neuron.co.uk> on 2002/07/07 06:55:09 UTC

Apache2-Tomcat4 over port 21

I've configured Virtual Hosts as you describe under apache1.3/tc2.3 as
well, and they did work ok (i.e. no crossing of context), but haven't
gone around doing it with apache2/tc4 yet.
If I do crack it I'll let you know.

My problem now is to make apache2 in one box speak with tomcat4 in
another box, with the added difficulty that the tomcat box can only
'listen' on port 21 (with the problem of it being < 1024), because of a
firewall which separates the 2 boxes (messy, I know).

I added the following rule to ipchains in the tomcat side:
-A input -j REDIRECT 8009 -p tcp -s 0.0.0.0/0 -d 0.0.0.0/0 21

which basically forwards incoming requests from port 21 to port 8009 on
the local machine where the ajp13 connector is listening).
I tested the rule by making a test apache server (on the tomcat box)
listen to 8009 and accessing it from a remote machine (ie. lynx
hostaddress:21) and it does work.
But when trying the Apache-Tomcat link it doesn't work (I get a 404 not
found)

My server.xml has:

               acceptCount="10" debug="0"/>

My workers.properties has the port number configured:
worker.ajp13.port=21

If I could use a port > 1024 I'd have no problem, but I'm stuck with 21
for next 3 months.

Any tips on how to make Apache2 speak with AJP13 over port 21 would be
greatly appreciated.

Dan

RE: Apache2-Tomcat4 over port 21

Posted by Kapil Sharma <ks...@wishstream.com>.
Hi,
But I am using tomcat 3.3.1 and there is no default web.xml file in
$TOMCAT_HOME ?

kapil

I've configured Virtual Hosts as you describe under apache1.3/tc2.3 as
well, and they did work ok (i.e. no crossing of context), but haven't
gone around doing it with apache2/tc4 yet. If I do crack it I'll let you
know.

My problem now is to make apache2 in one box speak with tomcat4 in
another box, with the added difficulty that the tomcat box can only
'listen' on port 21 (with the problem of it being < 1024), because of a
firewall which separates the 2 boxes (messy, I know).

I added the following rule to ipchains in the tomcat side:
-A input -j REDIRECT 8009 -p tcp -s 0.0.0.0/0 -d 0.0.0.0/0 21

which basically forwards incoming requests from port 21 to port 8009 on
the local machine where the ajp13 connector is listening). I tested the
rule by making a test apache server (on the tomcat box) listen to 8009
and accessing it from a remote machine (ie. lynx
hostaddress:21) and it does work.
But when trying the Apache-Tomcat link it doesn't work (I get a 404 not
found)

My server.xml has:

               acceptCount="10" debug="0"/>

My workers.properties has the port number configured:
worker.ajp13.port=21

If I could use a port > 1024 I'd have no problem, but I'm stuck with 21
for next 3 months.

Any tips on how to make Apache2 speak with AJP13 over port 21 would be
greatly appreciated.

Dan

For additional commands, e-mail:
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>