Posted to user@hive.apache.org by "Savant, Keshav" <Ke...@fisglobal.com> on 2012/02/28 13:28:43 UTC

Hive | HBase Integration

Hi All,

We did a successful setup of hadoop-0.20.203.0 and hive-0.7.1.

In our next step we are eyeing HBase integration with Hive. As far as we understand from articles available on internet and apache site, we can use HBase instead of derby as a metastore of Hive, this gives us more flexibility while handling very large data.

We are using hbase-0.92.0 to integrate it with Hive, till now HBase has been setup and we can create sample table on it and insert sample data in it, but we are not able to integrate it with Hive, because when we issue the command to create hive specific table on HBase (below in box) the command does not executes completely and a new command line is shown with an asterisk (*), and table does not gets created.

CREATE TABLE hive_hbasetable_k(key int, value string)
STORED BY 'org.apache.hadoop.hive.hbase.HBaseStorageHandler'
WITH SERDEPROPERTIES ("hbase.columns.mapping" = ":key,cf1:val")
TBLPROPERTIES ("hbase.table.name" = "hivehbasek");

Please provide us some pointers (steps to follow) for doing this integration or what we are not doing correctly. Till now we got these below URLs to do this, any help is appreciated

http://mevivs.wordpress.com/2010/11/24/hivehbase-integration/
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/HBaseIntegration

Kind regards,
Keshav C Savant

_____________

Re: Hive | HBase Integration

Posted by Bejoy Ks <be...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Rinku
      For insert into hbase, it'd be better you  depend on Hbase APIs for the same. I'm not sure on the APIS in hbase that would support bulk loading, you could find better solution on the hbase mailing list.
     There is a way to insert data from hive into hbase . You need to CREATE a hive managed TABLE in hive that uses a Hbase storage handler. The below url can help you with the details.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/HBaseIntegration#HBaseIntegration-Usage

 From the execption you posted , hive is not able to connect to hbase master and make the curresponding table creation in hbase. Is your hbase installation good? have to tried creating tables and loading data on to them?

It could be some jar mismatches as well. Follow the first part of the url,basically in building your Storage Handler (hive-hbase) .

$HIVE_SRC/build/dist/bin/hive --auxpath $HIVE_SRC/build/dist/lib/hive-hbase-handler-0.7.0.jar,$HIVE_SRC/build/dist/lib/hbase-0.89.0-SNAPSHOT.jar,$HIVE_SRC/build/dist/lib/zookeeper-3.3.1.jar -hiveconf hbase.zookeeper.quorum=zk1.yoyodyne.com,zk2.yoyodyne.com,zk3.yoyodyne.com

Regards
Bejoy.K.S

________________________________
From:  "Garg, Rinku" <Ri...@fisglobal.com>
Date:  Wed, 29 Feb 2012 05:29:12 +0000
To:  user@hive.apache.org<us...@hive.apache.org>; Bejoy Ks<be...@yahoo.com>
ReplyTo: user@hive.apache.org

Hi ,

We tried the same also by issuing the below mentioned command but command does not executes completely and a new command line is shown with an asterisk (*), and table does not gets created.

CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE hive_hbasetable_k(key int, value string) STORED BY 'org.apache.hadoop.hive.hbase.HBaseStorageHandler' WITH SERDEPROPERTIES ("hbase.columns.mapping" = ":key,cf1:val") TBLPROPERTIES ("hbase.table.name" = "hivehbasek");

Please suggest.

Thanks
Rinku Garg

      Make your hive table EXTERNAL, it should get things rolling. If you are mapping hive to a Hbase table, then as a mandatory requirement the hive table has to be EXTERNAL.

Hope it helps.

Regards
Bejoy.K.S

________________________________

[...]

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message and all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any manner; and (iii) notify the sender
 immediately. In addition, please be aware that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and review by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.

_____________

RE: Hive | HBase Integration

Were you able to create a normal table within your hive without any issues? By Normal table I mean the one that has data dir in hdfs not in HBase.
Regards
Bejoy K S

From handheld, Please excuse typos.
________________________________
From: "Garg, Rinku" <Ri...@fisglobal.com>>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 05:29:12 +0000
To: user@hive.apache.org<us...@hive.apache.org>>; Bejoy Ks<be...@yahoo.com>>
ReplyTo: user@hive.apache.org<ma...@hive.apache.org>

Re: Hive | HBase Integration

Were you able to create a normal table within your hive without any issues? By Normal table I mean the one that has data dir in hdfs not in HBase.
Regards
Bejoy K S

From handheld, Please excuse typos.

________________________________

RE: Hive | HBase Integration

Posted by be...@yahoo.com.
Hi Rinku
       Were you able to create a normal table within your hive without any issues? By Normal table I mean the one that has data dir in hdfs not in HBase.

Regards
Bejoy K S

From handheld, Please excuse typos.

RE: Hive | HBase Integration