Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Daniel Brownridge <da...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/02 09:12:55 UTC

Re: looking to get back on track or possible retirement to attic

Hi Gary,

Sorry for slow reply. After much faffing around I've now got the code
checked out and I'm starting to poke about. I'll try and get a local
build going and see how I get on.

> I see that I hid a number of issues by mentioning that there is some infrastructure work that is required. Updates to the project page and getting the issue tracker back up would be amongst these. Getting a new set of tickets to help hand out the work would also clearly be useful.
Regards the above I have what might seem a counter-intuitive suggestion.
Bloodhound is supposed to be project management / bug tracking software
so it's intuitive that we would want to use Bloodhound to support
Bloodhound. And I know this has been the case in the past, however, it
seems to me that we're in a bit of a chicken and egg situation at the
moment. The project has deteriorated to some degree, dead-links, and so
on and at the same time there is a design discussion going on about
Django and so on. So to breath some life back into things how about we
use some of the Apache Infrastructure that is already in place to
bootstrap ourselves back to a place where things are moving again. How
about we request a project to be created in JIRA for Bloodhound which we
can use in the meantime. I'm still new in ASF world and getting
established but I'd be more than happy to take this aspect on. I note
from https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa that:

> If your ASF project wants to use JIRA, either read this wiki page
> aboutmigrating from Bugzilla
> <http://wiki.apache.org/general/ApacheBugzillaToJiraMigration>or
> please contact jira at apache.org to setup a new project.
How about we do this? I can already think of one of the first tickets
I'd like to register there! Get http://live.bloodhound.apache.org/
<http://bloodhound.apache.org/> up and running again.

In a similar vein it would make sense to have some CI going on so it
would be nice to have Bloodhound up on https://builds.apache.org/ to see
tests passing etc.

I'm still finding my feet in ASF land - from reading general stuff on
Apache.org I think I need to sign ICLA or something before anyone lets
me near code?

> I would also like to organise some hack days so that interested people can be online at the same time to try to share advice and see if we can make more progress that way.
More than happy to get involved in a hack day. Just let me know when
works for you. I'm also trying to hang out in irc more! Totally off
topic but I'm on a laptop +allegary, JasonO- & macmaN all seem to be
there permanently, is this as simple as you're using a desktop you don't
turn off or are you doing something clever?

Daniel

Posted by Gary <al...@fastmail.co.uk>.
On Thu, 16 Apr 2020, at 6:44 AM, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 12:39 AM Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Please note that since about 1.5 years ago, the Foundation has an
> > official, supported Slack workspace at the-asf.slack.com. We have a
> > Standard [NGO] Plan, so all history is retained/searchable. That is nicer
> > than IRC, if people leave/return-to the channel. I've taken the liberty to
> > create #bloodhound there (since I'm on the-asf.s.c 24x7 for Infra work),
> > and invited Gary onto the channel.
> >

> Oh, I should be clear that I wasn't trying to make a unilateral decision:
> if you two (doing the work!) decide on a hackday on IRC, then I'll sign in
> for that. I just don't keep IRC running is all.
>
> Cheers,
> -g

No worries. I seem to have forgotten that I was even in the-asf slack. I am not so aware of the rules for access of the-asf workspace but it may well be a good alternative.

Incidentally, I did find I was able to use matrix to connect to a freenode channel and both send and receive messages successfully.

Cheers,
  Gary

Bloodhound channels for live discussion and hackdays (Was: Re: looking to get back on track or possible retirement to attic)

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@physics.org>.
On Sat, 18 Apr 2020, at 9:00 AM, Daniel Brownridge wrote:
> OK, mission for this morning is get on Slack!
>
> On 16/04/2020 06:44, Greg Stein wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 12:39 AM Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Please note that since about 1.5 years ago, the Foundation has an
> >> official, supported Slack workspace at the-asf.slack.com. We have a
> >> Standard [NGO] Plan, so all history is retained/searchable. That is nicer
> >> than IRC, if people leave/return-to the channel. I've taken the liberty to
> >> create #bloodhound there (since I'm on the-asf.s.c 24x7 for Infra work),
> >> and invited Gary onto the channel.
> >>
> > Oh, I should be clear that I wasn't trying to make a unilateral decision:
> > if you two (doing the work!) decide on a hackday on IRC, then I'll sign in
> > for that. I just don't keep IRC running is all.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > -g

It is probably worth noting that we have a few of us have followed Greg's suggestion and have been chatting on and off in the #bloodhound channel on the the-asf.slack.com workspace. While we will want to try to keep this email list up to date, hackdays and chat on this resource seems like a reasonable way to go.

I expect we still need to work out how invitations to that for the wider community will work but any Apache committers should already be able to access this if they want.

Meanwhile, I will continue to be on #bloodhound on freenode for anyone who has an aversion to slack - I know you exist and I don't want you to miss out!

Cheers,
  Gary

Re: looking to get back on track or possible retirement to attic

Posted by Daniel Brownridge <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gary, Daniel, et al,

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 9:17 PM Gary Martin <ga...@physics.org> wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> On Sun, 2 Feb 2020, at 9:12 AM, Daniel Brownridge wrote:

> > > I see that I hid a number of issues by mentioning that there is some
> infrastructure work that is required. Updates to the project page and
> getting the issue tracker back up would be amongst these. Getting a new set
> of tickets to help hand out the work would also clearly be useful.

Please note that I'm part of the Infra team, so can ensure the wheels are
greased. My available time for coding/projects is near zero, but am happy
to do chat/discuss and infra.

> > about we request a project to be created in JIRA for Bloodhound which we
> > can use in the meantime. I'm still new in ASF world and getting
> > established but I'd be more than happy to take this aspect on. I note
> > from https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa that:
> >
> > > If your ASF project wants to use JIRA, either read this wiki page
> > > aboutmigrating from Bugzilla
> > > <http://wiki.apache.org/general/ApacheBugzillaToJiraMigration>or
> > > please contact jira at apache.org to setup a new project.

Note the instructions have been updated since you viewed/pasted that. Jira
project setup is selfserve nowadays.

> How about we do this? I can already think of one of the first tickets
> > I'd like to register there! Get http://live.bloodhound.apache.org/
> > <http://bloodhound.apache.org/> up and running again.
>
> Sorry to go against that idea a little. For now I am intending to get the
> current bloodhound instance going again as a stop-gap before we can replace
> it with a new version. This is partly so we will have existing links
> restored and partly as we will probably desire some kind of migration of
> issues to the new project. I hope that makes some kind of sense.

How about a time-box on that? We can set up Jira on (say) June 1, if a
Bloodhound instance isn't up and running yet.

> In a similar vein it would make sense to have some CI going on so it
> > would be nice to have Bloodhound up on https://builds.apache.org/ to
> see
> > tests passing etc.
>
> Yes, we certainly used to have CI via buildbot. These days I do a fair
> amount of work with jenkins pipelines so I can see that working reasonably
> well.

The buildbot config is located at:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/buildbot/aegis/buildmaster/master1/projects/bloodhound.conf

(that might not be available to the general public, but committers-only)

> I'm still finding my feet in ASF land - from reading general stuff on
> > Apache.org I think I need to sign ICLA or something before anyone lets
> > me near code?
>
> Well, it is certainly possible to contribute code to Apache projects
> without being a committer to the project. You can look at
> http://apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles for distinctions
> between contributors and committers. I may well be talking to you about
> this again shortly though.

The short answer is: send a few patches; if it all looks good, then the
Bloodhound PMC votes you in as a committer; you sign an ICLA and get an @
apache.org account. Off to the races!

> > > I would also like to organise some hack days so that interested people
> can be online at the same time to try to share advice and see if we can
> make more progress that way.
> > More than happy to get involved in a hack day. Just let me know when
> > works for you. I'm also trying to hang out in irc more! Totally off
> > topic but I'm on a laptop +allegary, JasonO- & macmaN all seem to be
> > there permanently, is this as simple as you're using a desktop you don't
> > turn off or are you doing something clever?

Please note that since about 1.5 years ago, the Foundation has an official,
supported Slack workspace at the-asf.slack.com. We have a Standard [NGO]
Plan, so all history is retained/searchable. That is nicer than IRC, if
people leave/return-to the channel. I've taken the liberty to create
#bloodhound there (since I'm on the-asf.s.c 24x7 for Infra work), and
invited Gary onto the channel.

> > On 14/01/2020 10:29, Gary Martin wrote:

> > > The current code is available from a number of places. I updated the
> README.md last night to see if I could improve the instructions around
> getting the code, although clearly that would only be seen when you have
> already seen the code. The svn repo is available at
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/bloodhound/ but you can get a more
> targetted checkout with:
> > >
> > >    svn checkout
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/bloodhound/branches/bh_core_experimental/
> > >
> > > alternatively, as you spotted, it is mirrored at github and so you can
> clone and checkout direct to the appropriate branch with:
> > >
> > >    git clone --branch bh_core_experimental
> https://github.com/apache/bloodhound.git

Please note the above is a readonly mirror. Any PRs created against it will
imply the need to download a patch, and apply it to the svn repository.

> > > I would also like to organise some hack days so that interested people
> can be online at the same time to try to share advice and see if we can
> make more progress that way. I could look to see if we can use a slack
> channel somewhere appropriate if that would seem easier than irc for more
> people.

See above :-)

Cheers,
-g

Re: looking to get back on track or possible retirement to attic

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@physics.org>.
Hi Daniel,

On Sun, 2 Feb 2020, at 9:12 AM, Daniel Brownridge wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
> Sorry for slow reply. After much faffing around I've now got the code
> checked out and I'm starting to poke about. I'll try and get a local
> build going and see how I get on.

So sorry it has been even longer from me!

> [...]

> me near code?

Well, it is certainly possible to contribute code to Apache projects without being a committer to the project. You can look at http://apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles for distinctions between contributors and committers. I may well be talking to you about this again shortly though.

> > I would also like to organise some hack days so that interested people can be online at the same time to try to share advice and see if we can make more progress that way.
> More than happy to get involved in a hack day. Just let me know when
> works for you. I'm also trying to hang out in irc more! Totally off
> topic but I'm on a laptop +allegary, JasonO- & macmaN all seem to be
> there permanently, is this as simple as you're using a desktop you don't
> turn off or are you doing something clever?

OK, I'll make an announcement soon to see who can be encouraged to join in.

Sorry I kept missing you (three times?) by the way. I am allegary so feel free to say hi in the channel.

There are a number of potential tricks for maintaining a permanent presence on IRC, though the options may mean spending some money, depending on what you feel you need.

One way is to use an irc bouncer like znc (I seem to remember trying bitlbee in the past as well.) This obviously usually requires a server to run it from.

Another option is to use https://www.irccloud.com which makes the experience a lot more like using slack. It looks like a free account keeps you connected for 2 hours while inactive.

I could do with working out how to use matrix to bridge to irc.

Anyway, I appear to be up stupidly late tonight (UK time.)  I'll try to say more tomorrow.

Cheers,
    Gary