Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jonathan Rengifo <jm...@gmail.com> on 2004/09/22 17:35:43 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 2 crashes on high load traffic hours ...

Hi all...

Please this is pretty important to me...

I have Apache 2.0.50  running in my production environment, I am using
it with worker.c module under a Solaris 9, 2 GB RAM and 5 GB swap box.
My worker.c module configuration looks like this:

Timeout 150

KeepAlive On

MaxKeepAliveRequests 0

KeepAliveTimeout 5

ThreadLimit         100
ServerLimit 16
StartServers        4
MaxClients          600
MaxSpareThreads     600
MinSpareThreads     100
ThreadsPerChild     100
MaxRequestsPerChild 5000

This seems to be working just fine, each of the server process use in
average 20 MB of RAM which seems good to me, and they use some swap
too, in average 1.5 Mb per httpd process, I am also seeing a lot of
RAM to swap pagination 800 p/s . But eventually this just crashes
twice in a day, making each apache process eat like 800 MB of memory
(RAM and swap) and after that it hangs the server...

I don't have perl nor php module installed on Apache, I am just using
it to dispatch static content ".shtml", dynamic content is served vía
Tomcat and jk2 connector... My Tomcat and Apache logs don´t report
anything surprising, I mean there is no Apache error reported in logs.

Maybe I am wrong in the worker module configuration...

P.D. My site load is in average 230 request per second and almost 90%
of those request are for static content (.shtml)..

Please need help with this

Thanks