Posted to dev@corinthia.apache.org by jan i <ja...@apache.org> on 2015/08/09 18:20:54 UTC

ASF maturity model.

Hi.

I just spent a few hours having fun.

I made a wiki page, with the maturity model
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Corinthia/The+Apache+Project+Maturity+Model

Actually quite an interesting job. Please have a look at my responses, and
let us see where we
end up.

I found some of the questions, directly wrong or at the very least
misleading. I also lacked some questions about how the community is
actually doing.

My intention is to see your reactions (and incorporate that), and then
start a new discussion on general@ because if this is something podlings
should  fill up, some of the questions need to
be changed or better documented.

rgds
jan i.

Re: ASF maturity model.

Posted by Ian C <ia...@amham.net>.
On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 7:23 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 09/08/2015 jan i wrote:
>>
>> I made a wiki page, with the maturity model
>>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Corinthia/The+Apache+Project+Maturity+Model

For what it's worth I read through that and did not raise any concerns.

--
Cheers,

Ian C

Re: ASF maturity model.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: ASF maturity model.

Posted by Peter Kelly <pm...@apache.org>.
> On 10 Aug 2015, at 12:05 am, jan i <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> As I think you noticed, this will be basis of a new voting discussion in
> Incubator. And also to get some of the wording made more precise.

The first step on that would be to replace my accidental wording “the policy decides on a policy” with "the podling decides on a policy” ;)

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org

Re: ASF maturity model.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
WOW, thanks for a lot of comments, I will later try to integrate your
comments with mine, and then hope we are both "happy".

Thanks for taking time.

Re: ASF maturity model.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 9 August 2015 at 19:42, Dennis E. Hamilton <de...@acm.org>
wrote:

> General remark:
>
> My sense is that an assessment against the ASF maturity model is in
> addition to other requirements for graduation from the incubator.

I think you are right here...for me it was a experiment (I made it too for
another project we both know). I know there is a big discussion in IPMC and
Incubator
about graduation so it was an experiment to see how honest I could be.

For sure when we come closer to graduation, all the question marks should
be replaced with "yes, we interpret it as ....".

> Also, the footnotes matter.  The Model is meant to be generic, which is
> why it does not go down to specifics about libraries, etc.

I did read the footnotes, but found e.g. no explanation about libraries.
And if you use the generic term libraries, where do we stop ?

> I also think that it will be very ASF-friendly if assessment remarks
> simply declare how a particular element is taken to apply, and where
> supporting information about further details is found.

I am not sure I understand what you mean, I have tried to keep answer
neutral, and commented below, but maybe you mean something different ?

rgds
jan I.

RE: ASF maturity model.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.