Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Travis McLeskey <tr...@mac.com> on 2006/12/14 10:42:42 UTC

How I solved "Cannot find daemon loader org/apache/commons/daemon/support/DaemonLoader"

Hi all,

This is a message for the archive. It'd be great if it also made it
into the project FAQ.

Apparently lots of new users of commons-daemon encounter the "Cannot
find daemon loader org/apache/commons/daemon/support/DaemonLoader"
error message from jsvc:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-October/msg04190.html
http://marc2.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&m=113587972726649&q=raw
http://www.junlu.com/msg/47803.html
http://lists.lug.boulder.co.us/pipermail/lug/Week-of-
Mon-20051114/031029.html
http://www.irclogs.ws/freenode/tomcat/20Nov2005/1.html
http://www.irclogs.ws/freenode/tomcat/10Nov2005/2.html
http://marc2.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&m=115900714314324&w=2
http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg30457.html

I understand their frustration...I'm new to commons-daemon, and I
just spent more hours fighting the problem than I'll admit. Here was
the problem (I'm using Linux...I don't know whether this description
applies to other environments):

Even if you invoke jsvc as root and don't use the "-user" option, by
the time it tries to load the DaemonLoader class, it has reduced its
permissions level. Specifically, it has invoked the "capset" system
call to clear its CAP_DAC_READ_SEARCH flag (among other flags). I
don't understand the interaction between the CAP_DAC_READ_SEARCH
capacity and filesystem permissions, but I was able to make the error
message go away by making my classpath paths and all parent
directories readable (and executable, for dirs) by all.

Travis

Re: How I solved "Cannot find daemon loader org/apache/commons/daemon/support/DaemonLoader"

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
You could add an entry yourself to the wiki for this:

  http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/Daemon

Alternatively, create a patch for the faq.xml and create/attach it to
a Jira issue ticket:
  http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/jakarta/commons/proper/daemon/trunk/xdocs/
  http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/daemon/issue-tracking.html

Niall

Posted by "C. Grobmeier" <gr...@possessed.de>.
Hi Travis,

> This is a message for the archive. It'd be great if it also made it into
> the project FAQ.

your answer may fit well in the daemon-faq at the wiki-pages till a
committer commit this into the faq:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/Daemon

You could also provide a patch for the site. You can do this with simply
checking out the code and modify the maven-stuff.

Cheers,
Chris