Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Gian Maria Ricci - aka Alkampfer <al...@nablasoft.com> on 2016/01/11 12:28:57 UTC

Pro and cons of using Solr Cloud vs standard Master Slave Replica

Hi guys,

a customer need a comprehensive list of all pro and cons of using standard
Master Slave replica VS using Solr Cloud. I'm interested especially in query
performance consideration, because in this specific situation the rate of
new documents is really slow, but the amount of data is about 50 millions of
document, and the index size on disk for single core is about 30 GB.

Such amount of data should be easily handled by a Master Slave replica with
a  single core replicated on a certain number of slaves, but we need to
evaluate also the option of SolrCloud, especially for fault tolerance.

I've googled around, but did not find anything really comprehensive, so I'm
looking for real experience from you in Mailing List. :).

Thanks in advance.

--
Gian Maria Ricci
Cell: +39 320 0136949

 <http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Gian%20Maria%20Ricci-4025635>
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/gianmariaricci>
<https://twitter.com/alkampfer>   <http://feeds.feedburner.com/AlkampferEng>

Re: Pro and cons of using Solr Cloud vs standard Master Slave Replica

Posted by Rahul Ramesh <rr...@gmail.com>.
Please have a look at this post

https://support.lucidworks.com/hc/en-us/articles/201298317-What-is-SolrCloud-And-how-does-it-compare-to-master-slave-

We dont use Master slave architecture, however we use solr cloud and
standalone solr for our documents.

Indexing is a bit slow in cloud when compared to Standalone. This is
because of replication I think. However you will get a faster query
response.

Solr Cloud also requires a slightly elaborate setup with Zookeepers
compared to master/slave or standalone.

However, once Solr cloud is setup, it runs very smoothly and you dont have
to worry about the performance / high availability.

Please check the post, a detailed analysis and comparison between the two
has been given.

-Rahul

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@gmail.com>.
The "Legacy Scaling and Distribution" section of the Solr Reference Guide
also gives info elated to so-called master-slave mode:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Legacy+Scaling+and+Distribution

Also, although the old master-slave mode is still technically supported in
the sense that the code and doc is still there, You won't be able to get
the level of community support  here on the mailing list as you can get for
SolrCloud.

Unless you're simply trying to decide whether to leave an old legacy system
as-is with the old distributed mode, nobody should be considered a fresh
new distributed Solr deployment with anything other than SolrCloud.

(Hmmm... have any of the committers considered deprecating the old
non-SolrCloud distributed mode features?)

-- Jack Krupansky

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, and to the original question, there is no master list of features and
how SolrCloud vs. legacy distributed mode compare feature by feature.

And until SolrCloud actually does subsume every single (important) feature
of legacy distributed mode, Solr probably still needs to continue to
support legacy distributed mode, including backup.

The doc does need better coverage of backup and restore at the cluster
level, including configuration files. What's there now is basically the old
single-node replication backup. What exactly is the recommended best
practice for backing up a single shard, let alone all shards. Should
backups be collection-based as well?

-- Jack Krupansky

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 3:26 AM, Gian Maria Ricci - aka Alkampfer <

Posted by "Davis, Daniel (NIH/NLM) [C]" <da...@nih.gov>.
In the multi-tenant model, SolrCloud shines because the configuration directories need not include any details about the cluster.    SolrCloud also shines if the number of documents and/or indexing rate requires sharding.

But master-slave with replica configuration is OK if you have just a couple of related cores and their configuration isn't too dynamic.    I know that in my very old-school systems environment, getting all the ports/firewalls configured right for SolrCloud and maintaining security is a bit hairy.

Hoping this helps,

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alessandro Benedetti <ab...@apache.org>.
The issue linked by Erick is really interesting.
Gia, to answer to your further question :

For such scenario we need to plan the worst case, where everything is lost.
> With Master Slave is just a matter of recreating machines, reconfigure the
> core, and restore a backup, and the game is done, with SolrCloud is not
> really clear for me how can I backup / restore data. From what I've found
> in the internet I need to backup every shard of the collection, and, if we
> need to restore everything from a backup, we can recreate the collection
> and then restore all the individual shards. I do not know if this is a
> supported scenario / procedure, but theoretically it could work.

So we are in the worst case, you lost everything.
But you were doing the backup for each shard periodically.
You create again the collection, and you restore the backup on each leader.
Then all the replicas are going to catch up automatically.
And old style replication will happen under the hood.
I don't see this as an additional disadvantage of SolrCloud , I think we
are still talking about the "disadvantage" of a longer and more complicated
initial setup.

With the issue Erick mentioned we are going to be potentially able to make
that part as easy as possible.

Cheers

On 14 January 2016 at 14:19, Gian Maria Ricci - aka Alkampfer <

--------------------------

> [...]

On 14 January 2016 at 08:58, Gian Maria Ricci - aka Alkampfer < alkampfer@nablasoft.com> wrote:

> I agree that SolrCloud has not only advantages, I really understand
> that it offers many more features, but it introduces some complexity.
>
> One of the problem I've found is that I've not found a simple way to
> backup the content of a collection to restore in situation of disaste
> recovery. With simple master / slave scenario we can use the
> replication handler to generate backups that can be easily used to
> restore content of a core, while with SolrCloud is not clear how can we obtain a full backup.
> Probably is just a matter of backupping every shard with standard
> replication handler and then restore each shard after recreating the
> collection, but I've not found (probably I need to search better)
> official documentation on backup / restore procedures for SolrCloud.

future versions.

--
--------------------------

Posted by Alessandro Benedetti <ab...@apache.org>.

--
--------------------------

Posted by Gian Maria Ricci - aka Alkampfer <al...@nablasoft.com>.
I agree that SolrCloud has not only advantages, I really understand that it offers many more features, but it introduces some complexity.

One of the problem I've found is that I've not found a simple way to backup the content of a collection to restore in situation of disaster recovery. With simple master / slave scenario we can use the replication handler to generate backups that can be easily used to restore content of a core, while with SolrCloud is not clear how can we obtain a full backup. Probably is just a matter of backupping every shard with standard replication handler and then restore each shard after recreating the collection, but I've not found (probably I need to search better) official documentation on backup / restore procedures for SolrCloud.

Thanks.

--
Gian Maria Ricci

Posted by Bernd Fehling <be...@uni-bielefeld.de>.